Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Images
    I grew up in Carter County, TN and the Roan is cold even in the summer. Windy, cold. All that. Beautiful though.

I've camped at the High Knob shelter, but it was summertime. You guys are in for some cold and wind I'd say...

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Well I never figured there would be that many people that would want to hazard Roan Mountain in the Winter since it is over 6000' and has such high winds and low temperatures. Frankly, it's not that easy and that does make folks shy away. It is definitely not for everyone.

However, it does present a challenge to a hangers gear and ability to use it properly. Most likely we will be close enough to some shelter if needed. The Roan Highlands also offer some of the most scenic vistas on the entire AT. (Roan usually makes most thru hikers top ten most memorable list.)

So you'll have to ask yourself, "Is Mt Rogers not cold enough, high enough or windy enough?" If you answer is "no" or "I don't know", Roan may be the ticket for you.

Now that the scary commentary has been made, this is basically going to be a smaller group hang than Rogers for those crazy enough to want to spend a couple of days up on a mountain to talk about hammocks and consume extremely high calorie food. ( This does not differ from my normal Winter backpacking with the exception that while I do normally eat extremely high calorie food, I am usually talking to myself about hammocks.)
    Yeah, I was just kidding with you. Too cold for me! I just thought it was funny because your description sounded mighty cold, then no one replied for awhile. Maybe I just have a twisted sense of humor, or maybe your writing skills are so sharp that it sounded "too" cold.

I hope you guys have fun!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    Yeah, I was just kidding with you. Too cold for me! I just thought it was funny because your description sounded mighty cold, then no one replied for awhile. Maybe I just have a twisted sense of humor, or maybe your writing skills are so sharp that it sounded "too" cold.

I hope you guys have fun!
    Well "cold" is one of the goals in addition to just seeing who else is crazy enough to try it. That being said, you're welcome to give it a whirl. I'm sure I might have some gear that might augment your existing kit if you need to borrow some.
    I CAN tell you this. After Mt Rogers last year, I WILL be bringing a thermos or two. Staying hydrated when water freezes that fast was one of my main challenges (beyond hauling three dozen bear claws from Panera). Having a thermos will keep some hot cocoa or just plain unfrozen water handy.

Spoke to MedicineMan today. I think I may just be crazy enough to join you.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang um high View Post
    Spoke to MedicineMan today. I think I may just be crazy enough to join you.
    I guess we can start taking names and dates some time later next month. I don't foresee (or even threesee) this one being all that big.

If Medicineman gets his Peapod stuffed before then, he can probably use that piece of gear alone to get below zero.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    that superstuffed peapod AND a piece of foam! down pants and parka too
    according to Speer's chart a normal 30F peapod with 2 ounces more gets to 20F
    so with 4 10F and 5 more ounces 5F, that is the hope and dream.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    that superstuffed peapod AND a piece of foam! down pants and parka too
    according to Speer's chart a normal 30F peapod with 2 ounces more gets to 20F
    so with 4 10F and 5 more ounces 5F, that is the hope and dream.
    If you read more of his tips and tricks, the down can be repositioned to put more loft where you need it. With the amount you're talking, I would not be surprised to see 6" of loft if you moved some from the ends downward. 6" should be closer to a -10° F rating.

I'm going to play with my 20° once it gets colder to see if repositioning can get me below 20° without anything else. ( I will bring some backup just in case.)
    Now I just need to get a Traveler....

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    IF the 11th - 13th pencil me in.
    It was early AM when I passed through (stopped at the shelter for breakfast) so I may be wrong, but it seemed somewhat sheltered in the area with Rho's around the hanging area. & the shelter is small but 2 story, so a fair amount of space to "Hide" if need be. I did not check out the water source, but was assured it was nearby. But then "A short walk" to a thru hiker is anything under 10 miles
    There are some KILLER views in a short walk from the shelter. I sat at one for over an hour, just to look.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    IF the 11th - 13th pencil me in.
    It was early AM when I passed through (stopped at the shelter for breakfast) so I may be wrong, but it seemed somewhat sheltered in the area with Rho's around the hanging area. & the shelter is small but 2 story, so a fair amount of space to "Hide" if need be. I did not check out the water source, but was assured it was nearby. But then "A short walk" to a thru hiker is anything under 10 miles
    There are some KILLER views in a short walk from the shelter. I sat at one for over an hour, just to look.
    it should be fun. I'm trying to see if I can find a way to put some wheels on one of those plastic orange sleds. If that works, I'm going to try to train my husky-shepherd to pull it. (I've taken here out on 0 degree outings, and the temps did not phase her. She just sleeps on a piece of blue pad under my hammock and tarp.)

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    Heh. This is just crazy enough to be my kind of trip. I won't go so far as to say that I can make it (work has some weird demands)but IF I am free that weekend, I am there.
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast