Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Wild early winter start in west!

Very impressive, must be making for some interesting hikes for late fall hikers!

I noticed the other day that Bellingham WA had snow and ice and slippery roads, and they seldom (as is the case with Seattle) get this kind of weather even in dead of winter. Now there are blizzard warnings in WA and ID etc:
    http://www.komonews.com/weather?gcli...FYle2godXiD1Yw

Yesterday, I read that Billings, MT set a snowfall record for the date. I think they got 12-14" or so, and the previous record was TWO inches! Talk about shattering a record!

Only a couple of feet of snow so far, but notice below zero temps at Big sandy WY:
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...n=m&banner=off
    This only shows last 7 days, but I had already seen temps just below zero a couple of weeks back.

Alta, UT already has 60" on the ground and is expecting another 10-18 tonight with lows of minus 7. It is not even Thanksgiving yet, their traditional opening date! Look at this snowfall history so far this year, and notice the daily snowfall on OCT 31!:
    http://www.alta.com/pages/snowfallhistory.php

WhooBuddy! What a start for you western folks! Of course, that really doesn't determine what the rest of the winter will be like, experience has taught me.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-25-2010 at 09:15.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    DOODE! It don't snow in Kalifornia...the Palm Trees don't like it, doode.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Speak for yourself, Dawg.

Freeze warnings up and down the central valley today, plus it's snowing like gangbusters up above 5000 feet right now.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    We had about 6-8 inches of snow here on Sunday. Weather folks are calling for a blizzard warning tonight & tomorrow morning. In the 23 years I've lived in the Salt Lake valley (Florida native) I've never heard a blizzard warning before. Hmmm.... interesting to see if it's anything different from the usual winter storms. I live near the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, can see the Snowbird tram from my back deck. Don't ski downhill ski anymore due to a bad knee, plus it costs too much (money better spent on river & hammock gear).
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-23-2010 at 12:11. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Black Diamond Portaledge
    Insulation
    900fp Down
    It's definitely cold and windy here in Seattle! We got about 6 inches of snow yesterday and freezing temps. Luckily I've got a bit of warm clothing laying about
    Evan Cabodi
    Black Rock Gear
    www.blackrockgear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Weather here is being difficult. Mountains have had some snow, but not a ton. We've had flurries here and there down in Denver, but nothing of substance. Presents a problem for me as I'm leaving for my first winter(ish) hike next week. Not enough snow for a pulk, too much snow to leave the snow shoes behind, but not enough to wear them all day. Leaves me with some difficult decisions regarding gear and configuration. Ah well, these are problems I don't mind having. They beat trying to decide which noose (necktie) I'm going to wear to work.

Let it snow, Snow, SNOW!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Doggonnit, seems the pattern is that when the west coast gets wintery conditions, we in New England don't get squat for winter.

Stop hogging all the snow,man!
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    We had about 6-8 inches of snow here on Sunday. Weather folks are calling for a blizzard warning tonight & tomorrow morning. In the 23 years I've lived in the Salt Lake valley (Florida native) I've never heard a blizzard warning before. KJ
    We haven't had a lot of snow yet (at least by Bozeman standards), but haven't spent a lot of time above zero the last bit. We are heading to Salt Lake tomorrow, so I guess we better be watching the weather.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilmoigan View Post
    Doggonnit, seems the pattern is that when the west coast gets wintery conditions, we in New England don't get squat for winter.

Stop hogging all the snow,man!
    I agree it seems that really is the case. Either east or west but rarely both. I was in CO for the start of the new ice age ( as many scientists assured us was happening, global cooling) back around 77, which was beginning in the NE, apparently centered on Buffalo area. I had a friend who was trapped at the hospital he worked in for nearly a week due to impassable roads. In the mean time, the ski resorts in CO were worried about going broke due to almost no snow and warm temps melting what there was and making for poor snow making with the machines. Next year I moved up near to where my friend was for more schooling, in Erie PA. That year they set their all time record for annual snowfall up till then anyway. It was 148"(avg was ~88"), which was a fine howdy do for a poor GA boy, driving a Ford Pinto(= often stuck).
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-23-2010 at 12:45.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Well we expect snow and cold, after all its why they call it winter. But after having had a pretty nice fall its hit us all of a sudden and hard, at least the cold part. We got about 5-6" of snow but daytime high's of -14c over the next couple of days and tomorrow night -18c/6f . I haven't had time to adjust and feel a bit cold all the time so far today. Yesterday i got out for a hike up the Little Slocan, found a spot to hang out, -7c/19f. Was warm by the river thanks to merino wool, wool pants, down vest and JRB down sleeves, well for about an hour or so then i needed to get walkin.. BTW black bean soup was on the menu from Nile Spice Soups.

" The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast