HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Amsteel, Whoopies order from reddenmarine.com, Type in Hammockforum in cupon block for discount just ordered 100' of 7/64 grey, $.20/ft, ship to SC for $25 and some change. A lot of Vids on youtube on how to make and rig whoopie slings to any hammock. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I've ordered some 7/64th amsteel (enough to make single line suspensions for both me and the GF [she insists on having a hammock now too]). I'm not yet convinced on the issue of woopie slings, though. I'll play around with it, but if the amsteel will hold e.g. a bowline hitch and a marlinspike hitch I'd rather just use knots than have to deal with the constraints of the woopie sling approach.

I've been searching the thirft stores for good deals on down containing items. I've found a few comforters/featherbeds with down, but I figure that's only the ~400 fill power stuff. I did find jacket and a vest, though, which should have > ~700 fill power. I've removed the sleeves from of the jacket (they were too short for me anyway), making a vest, and the down from the sleeves should be more than enough to make a couple of down filled beanies (as soon as I figure out a pattern for them...)

Jo-ann's had a Black Friday sale, but unfortunately the nylon was not discounted at all.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you want a whoopie suspension... The complete system is about 1/3 off at the moment on the black friday weekend sale...http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Has anybody tried bank line for suspension? It would have to be braided together to be strong enough.

OK, I got my amsteel in the mail today. Amazing stuff. I was able to assemble a pair of whoopie slings ~6' quite easily (having never spliced rope before) using a doubled-over length of bailing wire. I figure I'll give these a try, as I can always pull it all back out to into two 12' segments. Making a continuous loop splice was a bit more fiddly... To summarize, the suspension I ended up with comprises two 6' sections of poly webbing, two wooden toggles, two 6' whoopie slings and a whoopie sling adjustable ridgeline (very similar to what's for sale at whoopieslings.com).

A few things learned:

1) The dye on the black amsteel doesn't stay on the rope very long (most of it ended up on my hands). Is that true of all the colors?

2) I should have splurged and bought more rope, as I've already pretty much used up the 50' I bought in making the suspension for one hammock.

3) There is really no difference between a UCR and a Whoopie Sling--the name depends on which ends you connect to the load. This means that there's no need to worry about not being able to span more than 6' with a 6' whoopie... All you have to do is flip it over and live with having to tie a backup knot on loose end of the contrictor. Perhaps everyone knows this already, but it wasn't apparent to me from reading the forums...

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post

3) There is really no difference between a UCR and a Whoopie Sling--the name depends on which ends you connect to the load. This means that there's no need to worry about not being able to span more than 6' with a 6' whoopie... All you have to do is flip it over and live with having to tie a backup knot on loose end of the contrictor. Perhaps everyone knows this already, but it wasn't apparent to me from reading the forums...

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
    Not sure what you mean by there is no difference. On a whoopie sling, both ends of the constrictor are under tension. On a UCR only one end of the constrictor is under tension leaving the other susceptible to slipping.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Not sure what you mean by there is no difference. On a whoopie sling, both ends of the constrictor are under tension. On a UCR only one end of the constrictor is under tension leaving the other susceptible to slipping.
    What I mean is that if you disconnect the fixed-loop end of the whoopie from the load and instead connect the free end (the end normally pulled on to tighten) to the load, then you have a UCR (which can extend further than the whoopie configuration).

Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    What I mean is that if you disconnect the fixed-loop end of the whoopie from the load and instead connect the free end (the end normally pulled on to tighten) to the load, then you have a UCR (which can extend further than the whoopie configuration).
    Actually, perhaps I'm wrong. I'll have to give this statement a little more thought when I'm sober...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12