Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    As I stated above, shown with 1/8" Shock Cord.. snug, but smoothly functional.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup

another option

I have not tried these yet, but thought about the original post from Shane when I saw the youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRqWq...xPgj7IcK7D7X0A&showsearch=0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRqWq...xPgj7IcK7D7X0A&showsearch=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

this dude that makes the intense angler tips has some other great ideas as well.

HYOH

Well finished my guy lines and tried my Kelty Noah's 12 x 12. My first attempt at this stuff... learned a lot here guys. I placed a temporary center pole in place, it's an extendable light bulb changing pole (lol)... with a soft rubber ball on the end of it.

I made the guys a little long, cut the Glowire at 12ft, then used 24" of 1/8" shock cord... doubled up 12". A little bit of excessive cord on the Glowire. The setup seems stable...

I plan on just leaving the most frequently used guy lines affixed to the tarp.

I'm open to constructive comments and suggestions?____

Thanks!!!

Got our Scout trip coming up quick...

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

My tarp guy lines

I predict a high probability of children clothe lining themselves. I recommend you pitch with only two poles. I like my 12' NT with two corners high, two low. It's also nice as a windbreak/rain shelter with only one pole and the other three corners on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    I predict a high probability of children clothe lining themselves. I recommend you pitch with only two poles. I like my 12' NT with two corners high, two low. It's also nice as a windbreak/rain shelter with only one pole and the other three corners on the ground.

I do see your point, no doubt about it... thinking my lengthy guy lines are possibly/unnecessarily staked too far out. The (2) pole setup is on my list of tries for sure, as well as getting the tree's involved of course.

I had the Kelty Noah's 12 set up all night with the (4) pole setup, it rained last night, downpour but little wind, all fine. This afternoon we were expecting thunderstorms, so I dropped down to 2 poles, added an additional guy line for each of the 2 poles (3) total per ea.

Heavy rain, wether report changed and expecting wind gusts up to 60mph, they never said that earlier, luckily it never occured, it went more north. When I returned, all survived well. However this evening I took a peak outside and noticed that the wind was pretty strong, 25mph gusts with a steady 9mph. One of the poles was down, it had 3 lines on it as I stated, 1 center guy line stake also let loose, the others held. But I noticed now, afterwards, that 2 of these Mini Line Lok's no longer have holding power, the 3rd on this pole is slipping a bit! The v wedge, seems to have opened up and will not hold. I tied a temporary not behind them till I replace them.

Lost some confidence in these little Line Lok's....

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

My tarp guy lines

That's a bummer to hear. Most everyone here is using the line locks for guys and not ridge lines. I've always used paracord (no shock cord) and a trucker's hitch to tension my Noah's Tarp. I crank down the tension way more than I ever would on my hex tarp's guylines over my hammock.

Do you know how to do a trucker's hitch? I do it differently than Grog shows it, easier to tension one-handed. I can make a video of the technique if you'd like.

Also you could use the plastic figure-9s that came with the tarp.

One more thing: I've never used more than two guys going to the poles, even in significant wind and rain.

Last edited by clean; 07-23-2013 at 23:50.

Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    That's a bummer to hear. Most everyone here is using the line locks for guys and not ridge lines. I've always used paracord (no shock cord) and a trucker's hitch to tension my Noah's Tarp. I crank down the tension way more than I ever would on my hex tarp's guylines over my hammock.

Do you know how to do a trucker's hitch? I do it differently than Grog shows it, easier to tension one-handed. I can make a video of the technique if you'd like.

Also you could use the plastic figure-9s that came with the tarp.

One more thing: I've never used more than two guys going to the poles, even in significant wind and rain.

Yes, learning… work in progress. From what you have said, I deduct that I simply should not use Line Lok's at the ridge line.

I'd really like to see your version of the truckers hitch, I appreciate that suggestion and offer!

When I dropped from 4 to 2 poles, I used the existing guys, but placed/added a center guy to aid in pulling the Noah taught. I could have just moved the existing 2 guys inboard, not adding the 3rd. (and NOT using the Line Lok)

The pic is the guy tensioner that now comes with the Kelty Noah's, no longer "Figure 9's"

Thank You Clean!

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Has anyone else had problems with the line-loks not holding in strong winds? I experienced that when I first set up my SF with this method. The wind blew my lines into a tangled mess and the lines ended up pulled so tightly through the line-loks that the buries of my fixed eyes were pulling through. I attributed the failure of the line-loks to being stretched when that happened, but I would just like to make sure they can handle lots of pressure just so long as they are holding line within the specified size.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've had that problem in strong winds. I fix that by putting a slippery half hitch at the line lock. It stops any slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    Has anyone else had problems with the line-loks not holding in strong winds? I experienced that when I first set up my SF with this method. The wind blew my lines into a tangled mess and the lines ended up pulled so tightly through the line-loks that the buries of my fixed eyes were pulling through. I attributed the failure of the line-loks to being stretched when that happened, but I would just like to make sure they can handle lots of pressure just so long as they are holding line within the specified size.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast