DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mund View Post
    Newbie here... bear with me.

Is this method strong enough for a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 x 12 & (4) Kelty Adjustable Poles type set up?

Using:
    * Lawson Equipment Reflective Glowire Cord 2.38mm
    * Mini Line Lok 1-3mm
    * MSR Groundhog Stakes

* I may use the Shock Cord as shown but thinking of perhaps not using shock cord and going with small carabiners to connect between the Glowire guy line and the Kelty Noah's Tarp attachment points. Using this tarp for car camp/Boy Scout use. Looking for an easy effective set up that will hold in bad weather still. Comments?_______

* Thinking of just tying a permanent loop at the stake end of the guy line

Thank You..
    You would probably want to go with stronger shock cord (or double it up), but the main reason for using this method is to keep a SilNylon tarp tight. SilNylon has some stretch to it. I don't believe that the Noah's Tarp has that issue, but it might be nice for windy conditions and people stumbling around.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Do you think the Mini Line Locs will be tough enough for the task without failure?

Suggestions for a carabiner or a means of attaching the guy line to the tarp if I don't want to do the shock cord?

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Do you think the Mini Line Locs will be tough enough for the task without failure?

Suggestions for a carabiner or a means of attaching the guy line to the tarp if I don't want to do the shock cord?
    Yes they're strong enough, this is what they're made for. Attach them to the tarp with small loop of guyline.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    The shock cord has several purposes. It is designed to be the weak point in your system so it should fail before your tarp rips in high winds. I don't know for sure, but I would think you're going to have a lot of other problems if there's enough wind to break the shock cord. It also serves to keep the tension you want on the tarp as the nylon stretches.

To answer your question, no you do not need the shock cord but you loose the functionality listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    The shock cord has several purposes. It is designed to be the weak point in your system so it should fail before your tarp rips in high winds. I don't know for sure, but I would think you're going to have a lot of other problems if there's enough wind to break the shock cord. It also serves to keep the tension you want on the tarp as the nylon stretches.

To answer your question, no you do not need the shock cord but you loose the functionality listed above.
    I can add shock cord if advantageous to do so, what brand, what strength/dia. do you suggest?________

Again this is what I plan on using:
    * Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 x 12
    * Kelty adjustable poles, using up to 4 depending on site/application
    * Lawson Equipment Reflective Glowire Cord 2.38mm
    * Mini Line Lok 1-3mm (just received, concerned about the size, very small)
    * MSR Groundhog Stakes
    * May use a small carabiner to attach to shock cord loop affixed to tarp

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I can add shock cord if advantageous to do so, what brand, what strength/dia. do you suggest?________
    I don't know a ton about the stuff. But from what I read it's pretty much all the same when it comes to brand. If I remember correctly you want something that has a max stretch in the 150-200% range. It sounds like you need to use the 3/32 cord, but that is based off of using 1.8 mm cord with it. I don't think that 0.02" difference will be that big a deal but it might be tight.

I think I got mine from supplycaptain.com, so maybe I have 1/8", I'm really not sure.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I got the 1/8 from REI, and it was ALMOST just a little too thick to use with the 1.75 zing-it, but it will work. It was the thinnest REI had.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

My tarp guy lines

I just put guy lines together using this technique tonight and I'm very pleased with the results. Great idea, Shane. Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I did this a few weeks back. They work great! When I see my fellow hammocking buddy I am going to put some on his tarp as well.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

a little Line Lok modification...

Working on mine as well. Using the MINI Line Lok and Lawsons Glowire. I am going to use 1/8" Shock Cord, with what I did here, it now fits. I picked up the 1/8" stuff at REI also. Will test and see how all does with the Kelty Noah's Tarps 12' x 12' & 16' x 16'.

What I Did:
    MINI Line Lok: the hole where (initially the 3/32) Shock Cord would go parallel to the 3/32 (2.38mm) Glowire was a little tight. The thin lip seemed to cause some rough drag when pulling cord through. I pulled out my Dremel with a small Diamond Wheel Point and removed that lip. I don't feel that the lip is needed with the (Shane) application. I did not enlarge the hole, because that may weaken the Line Lok! I used the Diamond bit to also gently debur. I held the Line Lok in a small set of Vice Grips with a mild grip. I did (16) pieces in approx. 15 min. running the Dremel near the lowest speed (2nd notch).

Note: Fits 1/8" Shock Cord & 3/32 (2.38mm) Cord now

Just thought i'd share...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mund; 07-21-2013 at 18:23.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast