Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Images
    Very interested in this thread, those of you using 1.75 are you using the small line locks? There are 2 sizes. Those of you using 2.2 are using the small or large line locks?

swank

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm using 2.2 Zing-it with the smallest size line locs.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use 1/8" bungee loop to tarp and 1.75 mm zing-it with the small (mini) line locs.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    1.75 mm line from Warbonnet, standard shock cord (1/8?) from Coghlan's, and mini line-locs from the Hammock Forums store.

maybe I missed it but does anyone use the 1.25mm Z-line with the line-locs?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    I use braided mason line for my trap tie-outs, it is cheap and seems to hold up pretty well. It does tangle but life is a series of trade offs. I spliced loops in the lower ends which are about 18-20" long, they are tied with a nail knot to 8" of 1/4" bungee I believe, nail knot and then about 6-8' of mason line with a back splice in the end. I use a prussik that attaches to the tarp corners. I saw thei setup on a vid by Grizz Adams. It is very light, plenty strong and cheep. I have been in some pretty stiff wind, strong enough I was starting to worry about the tarp and everything has held. I always wonder why line that will hold 400-600 lbs. is used for tie-outs, I worry more about ruining a 100.00 tarp than 10 cents worth of mason line and there is no hardware to fail.
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    maybe I missed it but does anyone use the 1.25mm Z-line with the line-locs?
    That's what I have on order. May not need it now, though (read on)...

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I use braided mason line for my trap tie-outs, it is cheap and seems to hold up pretty well. It does tangle but life is a series of trade offs. I spliced loops in the lower ends which are about 18-20" long, they are tied with a nail knot to 8" of 1/4" bungee I believe, nail knot and then about 6-8' of mason line with a back splice in the end. I use a prussik that attaches to the tarp corners. I saw thei setup on a vid by Grizz Adams. It is very light, plenty strong and cheep. I have been in some pretty stiff wind, strong enough I was starting to worry about the tarp and everything has held. I always wonder why line that will hold 400-600 lbs. is used for tie-outs, I worry more about ruining a 100.00 tarp than 10 cents worth of mason line and there is no hardware to fail.
    I'm switching from a similar setup. The prussiks work well and avoid hardware, but they can become exceedingly tight and difficult to move on the dyneema line, especially in the winter when your hands are cold and wearing gloves/mittens. I've learned that "easier and quicker" is better in the winter, and I'm comfortable with the weight penalty.

About my post above where the 1.75 Zing-it slipped: I should have experimented more. I only attached one to test, because it was such a pain to add them. I had to undo the prussik, then take the continuous loop apart, thread on the line lok, then re-splice the loop.* Anyway, I tested each one, and every one except the first and last held fine with max tension applied, and the last one barely slipped and only near maximum tension. So I guess the problem is one of quality control in this item.

I'm looking forward to testing this system more. If it works for me as well as it seems to work for the others, I'll be very happy.

*OK, not a huge deal, but I hate splicing. I love the cleanness of the spliced line, but I'd rather tie a knot than splice that stuff.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    That's what I have on order. May not need it now, though (read on)...
    did you ever get the 1.25mm Z-line and play with it using the line-locs or did you do something else?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just got the line, no chance to test it yet. I'll post the results when I do...
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did get a chance to test the 1.25 mm Z-line and the line-loc's hold very well. I think the thinner line works much better.
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast