Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Thanks for the hookup on the Bridge, Professor Grizz. It's given me ideas and opened up my mind on the bridge side of things. I just need to figure out if I can make one to my needs. I think even if I lost a bunch of weight, I'd still want a wider bridge, simply because of the way I sleep. Heck, that's why I had the two quilts made the way I did, and now they suit me perfectly. I just need to dial in a hammock to suit me now!
    yours has 34" speaders owing to the rig's curious history. The standard spreaders I use are 36", unlikely you'll feel much of a difference. And of course the wider the spreader bars, the bigger the challenge of dealing with a tarp.

This hammock is deep though, and that effectively reduces the width around you. What one can do is very much reduce the difference between width of speader bar and fabric under the spreader bar, making the hammock a lot flatter---and this is the gottcha---more tippy. Ain't no free lunch. There may be a combination "out there" of flat like that at the shoulders and deeper at the feet. I'm told the Eureka hammock spreader width is close to the fabric width, but that's not a true bridge hammock. Worth looking into though.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I understand tanstaafl. I figured there was a reason for your choices. I'll see what I can do with the materials I have! Thanks for the tips!

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Good job, 15 deg F is a good starting point.

I think 10-15 deg F is the sweet spot for winter camping.

Don't need to worry about wet snow and too cold for normal people.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I agree... 16.7 F is quite respectable (chuckling). Good work! I've just gotten the BMBH from JRB and will be building a DIY tarp around it, so this is a good report for me.

Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    You can also try a pole-mod/pull-outs to keep the tarp off the spreader bars. Still good report, wish I had a convenient place to test hang in the cold. I want to get to cold weather hanging but... taking a decent drive to test it by fire without a decent fallback plan is less than desirable.
    Add some Grip Clips right at the point on the tarp where the bars hit. Run a cord from there out to a hiking pole, tree or bush. Using a JRB 11x10 tarp, this gives me several inches to spare, even with the ends closed.

Great report. I mentioned that I wondered how the quilt would work with the bridge hammock. Seems like I have had trouble getting my WB torso UQ to fit right on the BMBH, tending to leave a gap in the middle under the length of my spine. I think there is a conflict between BMBH shape and this WB UQ shape, maybe, causing less than optimum fit. Although, I have been able to lessen that by tightening things up, need to work on it some more.

However, when I use my JRB MW4 with the JRB bridge,there is no gap whatsover under back or butt, and really anywhere else. Though I do run one extra shock cord over the hammock on the foot end, not sure if it is needed. I had no CBS at all at ~10F.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I have some Grip Clips somewhere, I was just too tired to find them after all my jumping in and out all night. I should give them a whirl and see how much room I can make for myself.

Also, being on a deck, I really don't have that many places to tie them out...so I have to plan ahead in that respect as well.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Looks like a fun night out.... We haven't seen temps that low in my area but looking forward to it when they get here... Where did ya get the digital thermometer my friend, I've been looking for one at all the local haunts but can't seem to find anything like that with a high/low setting....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Looks like a fun night out.... We haven't seen temps that low in my area but looking forward to it when they get here... Where did ya get the digital thermometer my friend, I've been looking for one at all the local haunts but can't seem to find anything like that with a high/low setting....
    There was a thread here in the forums about thermometers that clued me into this one. It's like $9 at REI. It's also got a clock with alarm, but it's like those cheap digital watches you'd give to children as their first watch...the "alarm" is a very quiet beep. So, IMHO, I paid $9 for a Hi/Lo recording thermometer and nothing more. I'd say it's at least as accurate as +/- .5 degrees. It's pretty limited on the cold end...I didn't realize that till I looked up the specs just now.

The Coghlan's® Time And Temp Digital Dangler is a great camping accessory that not only digitally displays a clock with 12 or 24 hour format and an alarm clock with a five minute snooze function, but a calendar showing both the date and the day of the week. The Coghlan's® Time And Temp Digital Dangler is also equipped with a thermometer that updates every five minutes and is Celsius or Fahrenheit selectable. One 3V battery is included with the Coghlan's® Time And Temp Digital Dangler so that you can program it on the way to your campsite.

Specifications
    Coghlan's® Time And Temp Digital Dangler
    Manufacturer Number: 0492
    Includes:
    (1) 3V Battery
    Features:
    12 Or 24 Hour Format Clock
    Programmable Alarm Clock with 5 Minute Snooze Function
    Perpetual Calendar Displays Day And Date
    Thermometer is Celsius or Fahrenheit Selectable
    Maximum/Minimum Temperature Memory
    Temperature Updates Every 5 Minutes
    Clock Accuracy: +/- 30 Seconds Per Month
    Thermometer's Functional Range: -10 Degrees Celsius Or 14 Degrees Fahrenheit To +50 Degrees Celsius Or 112 Degrees Fahrenheit
    Display: Digital

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&amp;UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&amp;Dutchware
    Images
    Nice thorough report - thanks! Wish I had a good test spot locally .....
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Nice thorough report - thanks! Wish I had a good test spot locally .....
    It took a lot of eyeballing the yard to figure out that I could do this. And it's a little more private than on the side-lot which can be seen from the street.

The fiance wasn't hip about adding posts to the back yard, so this was a great compromise.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast