Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I am certainly not begrudging his experience, or his abilities.

Frankly, if he had been able to take the moose, or the geese, he would have made it.

I haven't done 60 days on my own, so I can't take anything from him unless I have done it myself, so good on ya bro, if you don't try, you'll never know.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Frankly, if he had been able to take the moose, or the geese, he would have made it.
    It must have been demoralising to feel so hungry and not be able to kill a moose or other large game for the pot. Rules or no rules, I would like to think I'd have been eating a crafty moose steak when the camera was off.
    One thing to note is that the producers really tried hard off camera to persuade him to stay longer. He apparently wanted to go home much earlier, and I'm sure this didn't do much for his obviously fragile mental state.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Didn't he say he climbed Everest? In the first video, he was complaining that his pack was too heavy, and the terrain was too rough. I have not gone 60 days alone before, but I have done 28, and I have hiked the same country he was in. At the beginning, it does look a bit like he's trying to sound a bit dramatic for the camera. I'm not sure that someone so afraid of bears should be out in the Yukon alone. Seemed like it was consuming him, which does not bode well for survival mentality. Cautious, sure, but terrified? Not the best state of mind.
    Haven't watched the rest yet, so I haven't gotten to the moose bit yet. Does he see one, but not shoot it? This is appropriate given the hunting regs, but does not capture real life survival.

I wasn't really certain what the purpose of the trip was. If his plan was to go and live off the land to experience the north, them I don't know why he didn't just get dropped into Tin cup lake and set up a basecamp. Or, take a few days and portage all his kit to the big lake. **** Proenneke style.

Just sorta seemed like he lacked experience and bit off more than he could chew. Still a good show to watch - I love the country he's in.

I agree with Jimmy. I never caught what goal was supposed to be. Building a base camp on the lake where he was catching fish should have been a no-brainer if surviving for 90 days was the goal. I'd like to see a show like this with someone who knows a little more about hunting and fishing and is comfortable in the wilderness. His fear of bears was almost phobic. That said, I've never camped in bear country and don't know how scared I'd be.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Oops, no he seems to be alone and self filming. Seems very well equipped...an electric fence though?

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    caught a bit of this did you see his cook set a bit much if you ask me but then nothing is to heavy to carry if someone else is the one doing it.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Spursfiend, if you want a good show like you mentioned, check out Alone in the Wilderness about **** Proenneke if you haven't already. Filmed in 1968, a great year, and he knows what he's doing...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Do believe the show is a repeat
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's what his name was, last night we were trying to remember the guys name, searching around and could remember who it was... what a great show.

Here it is on youtube:

Disk 1 part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJvg0hOwb4

Disk 1 part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwiBHpm4l-8

Disk 1 part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN_DgX4i9jk

And so on and so on.. You can get the rest off the side.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Gunner76, I do believe you are correct. I seem to remember ramblings about this show last year. I recall someone saying he was like an insecure Bear Grylls. :O OUch!

To be honest I don't know if I have ever camped somewhere that wasn't bear territory, which could explain why I'm not that affected by it. I was watching Dual Survival last night with Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury, in Arizona, and Lundin was totally comfortable with scorpions and rattlers. I doubt I'd get much sleep the first few nights... SO, this poor feller can't be blamed for his fear, but I would think he'd be better off with some more experience in Canada's north, so his fear would be tempered a little.

Ah, well. Still nice to watch some of the scenery, moose, etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast