Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I thought that show was going to be great but I really did get tired of watching him be scared all the time. I would be scared too, but come on...

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    For anyone interested this is now available on Youtube. Just watched it, and I have to say that it is possibly the most emotional trip report video you will ever see. Watching the range of emotions the guy goes through daily I found engaging.

*Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hard to say what I think about it. Haven't tried it for so long, so I wonder how I'd feel. I don't think the solitude would get to me like it seemed to get to him. Fear of bears? A bit perhpas, but not his almost obsessive phobia.

If you can find it with English subtitles on youtube (I htink there's a version there with not that great quality), check out Lars Monsen Across Canada ("Canada på tvers" in Norwegian). That guy is hardcore. He rides a dog sled in winter and treks in the summer from just across the border in Alaska (Kartovik? smth like that) to Goose Bay. Granted, an expedition with less of a survival aspect to it, but some amazing wilderness and his way of just dealing with whatever comes, including bears, wolves, and a polar bear, is amazing as well.
    Last edited by K0m4; 11-04-2012 at 07:54.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Just watched the first 20 minutes of ALone in the Wild.

I am enjoying it so far.
    I think the show is more about the human experience than a "how to" of surviving in the wild for 90 days. (even though yes, you spoilers, I now know he doesn't make it that far.)

So being the human experience, i think the show is an honest look at this one mans experience. He experienced something that very few will ever get the chance to and not just being in the wild. The chance to truly see himself when confronted with his fears and aloneness.
    I couldn't imagine being alone for so long, but what could be perceived as the editors focusing on the negative parts, in my eyes, looks more like an honest account of his actual state.

Growing up in the UK, i personally am always having irrational fear of wild animals when i go into the mountains over here. It sure takes some deep breathing and a mantra of " its more afraid of you, its more afraid of you"..before i calm down.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Images
    Yeah all that crying was too much me. If you haven't yet, you should check out **** Proenneke, his trip was much better...

http://www.dickproenneke.com/index.html

(I see his first name is censored!)

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ah, yes, I remember the crying now. Had to stop watching.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Yeah all that crying was too much me. If you haven't yet, you should check out **** Proenneke, his trip was much better...

http://www.dickproenneke.com/index.html

(I see his first name is censored!)
    Richard Proenneke is amazing. I have that documentary and love watching it. I want a cabin like his!

Alone in the wild was good...but yes, too much crying for me.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    The hammock came from mosquitohammock.com and the are very good hammocks and very tuff but heavy , The reason I know is I asked him,and
    i own one .He did a total of 50 days I have nothing but respect for him,But the crying was a little strange

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

A strong mind

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    For anyone interested this is now available on Youtube. Just watched it, and I have to say that it is possibly the most emotional trip report video you will ever see. Watching the range of emotions the guy goes through daily I found engaging.

A strong mind will carry a weak body further than a strong body will carry a weak mind.

I think the mental issues of isolation did more to do him in than lack of food. Lost his focus.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I’ve only watched a handful of these type shows as I feel that they’re scripted. I think this was far more realistic than a lot of the others. I don’t look at his attempt necessarily as a failure. Many men may have not lasted as long as he and he’s a better man than I am for lasting as long as he did. However, I wouldn't have even attempted that if I wasn't prepared mentally and had the skills to pull it off. Especially, if I knew that this was going to be on TV for the whole world to see. As far as the crying, I personally would have edited that out; but, that may have been what he wanted the viewer to experience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234