Thread: Woodstock Blues

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod

Woodstock Blues

I am from the Woodstock area of New York State. The last person I went hammocking with claimed to be a former solider back from the war and after a day of camping he flipped out and has since been institutionalized ( may God bless and heal him )and now I am stuck hiking and camping alone. While we were hiking in woods he claimed that imaginary government helicopters and jet airplanes were following and tracking us and that they were spying and studying us as we hung in our hammocks. Unfortunately his flowing delusional train of fearful and paranoid thoughts about the next nuclear Holocaust lost their charm and entertainment value for all those listening to his wild rants and we returned early from out short camping trip. I hope to find some more sane and balanced people to hike and hammock with on this forum. Unfortunately, everyone I know in Woodstock seems to be a stereotypical freak with emotional issues. That is what I get for living in an art community.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 11-28-2010 at 08:09.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Good luck in your venture to find a hangin' buddy. Just one question... tell me you've seen the movie "Taking Woodstock?" Your situation seriously reminds me of a scene in that movie.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been to that area and the people struck me as very rural and more of a farming community. I'm sure Wavey Gravy is driving a bus somewhere up there but there are good people everywhere. You also have some great places to hike. You could find hiking clubs around you to get involved with people who are interested in hiking. I find that hikers generally are easy to get along with and share their interests.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Yes that is right. All my friends are either farmers, artists or hippies. Usually they are combination of all of the above three.. That is the essence of Woodstock.My more normal friends are not interested in hiking or camping, especially in fall or winter.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 11-28-2010 at 08:29.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    Yes that is right. All my friends are either farmers, artists or hippies. Usually they are combination of all of the above three.. That is the essence of Woodstock.My more normal friends are not interested in hiking or camping, especially in fall or winter.
    Wow..my husband and I are retired vets who do the catskills on a fairly regular basis. Just got back from the Devil's Kitchen yesterday. (23 degrees)
    Woodstock was always good for the after hike beer, but wouldnt want to live there. Were at Echo lake in Dec last year. Guess the only real tough think about the catskills is its lack of water.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Yes, I have set up my hammock and camped around Echo Lake. One of my friends lives about ten miles from Devil's Kitchen. I was up around there about a week ago also.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 11-28-2010 at 09:21.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Yes, I have set up my hammock and camped around Echo Lake. One of my friends lives about ten miles from Devil's Kitchen. I was up around there about a week ago also.
    Well, my husband and I are practicing winter hanging before we go to the NJ winter hang. We got new underquilts that still require a learning curve. We are looking at Big Indian Wilderness right now that is close to a shelter in case we have to go to ground.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I am from the Woodstock area of New York State. The last person I went hammocking with claimed to be a former solider back from the war and after a day of camping he flipped out and has since been institutionalized ( may God bless and heal him )and now I am stuck hiking and camping alone. While we were hiking in woods he claimed that imaginary government helicopters and jet airplanes were following and tracking us and that they were spying and studying us as we hung in our hammocks. Unfortunately his flowing delusional train of fearful and paranoid thoughts about the next nuclear Holocaust lost their charm and entertainment value for all those listening to his wild rants and we returned early from out short camping trip. I hope to find some more sane and balanced people to hike and hammock with on this forum. Unfortunately, everyone I know in Woodstock seems to be a stereotypical freak with emotional issues. That is what I get for living in an art community.
    That's funny stuff

I was hitchhiking from Toronto To Montreal years ago and a guy picked me up who spent three hours telling me about how the Free Masons were after him. His appartment was bugged, he was followed in the city and said they would break into his apartment and poison his canned food.

Very entertaing ride and by the end of it I was almost believing him.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Yes, that is what happened to me. After a couple days hiking with this guy I now feel that every time I randomly hear an airplane or helicopter flying above me in the wilderness that I am being personally followed and tracked by the powers that be. It is almost like he enjoyed trying to turn everyone's collective fears into a reality. After two days of hammocking and hiking with this fellow I almost now believe that the whole world is conspiring against me. He had a natural talent to make people feel powerless and helpless. I got to give him that much credit.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 11-28-2010 at 16:20.

Hammock
    Currently using a Clark North Ameri
    Insulation
    Still learning
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hello , JoggerJohn! First thanks for the welcome and the info on Under quilts. I know what you mean about going it alone. I do the same up here in the catskills. No one wants to pack in its all about easy car camping for them so I pack in alone. Still learning the winter camping thing ,only had to do it in the army and weight wasn't an issue then. any how Thanks again and maybe I'll have the chance to see ya on the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast