Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images

Winter test in a snow storm!

This weekend the forecast promised cooler temperatures and light snow, something that usually is scarce in Denmark. So off course i had to do a little gear testing and check if both gear and me was up to standards. In the service there is a saying: Train hard - fight easy, when it comes to hiking and camping i´ve made my own little analogy: Train hard - camp easy

I deliberately found a windy unsheltered exposed campsite to find flaws in my technique/setup.

Conditions faced where: temps of around 19dg fahrenheit with a windchill factor reaching around -9dg fahreheit.

Here is some pics on the way out.

After some recent threads on HF about falling trees, i wanted to make sure that i did´nt end up in the local newspaper, and after pushing my selected trees - this nearly missed my face(note the glove for size comparison) after this i of course found some other trees to hang from.

Here is a pic of the "camp" after setting it up:

After setting up camp it was Tea time with Tinny(and Stovemandan(Tanks for the tips Dan, they worked like a treat))

After a short while i decider to retreat to comfort and luxury in the hammock, watching Avatar on the ipod. As you can see i am beginning to look a bit sleepy:

After this i couldnt take any more pics - both my camera and phone went dead from the cold.

All in all the trip was a success, i learned some important lessons:

Wear thin gloves for dexterity(i only had ski gloves that didnt allow me to setup camp) i nearly got frostbite when packing down my gear.

Wear gaiters; Snow filled shoes ain´t nice...

Make sure your stove is placed on a firm ground, mine tilted several times - because it thawed underneath.

Wear snow goggles, normal glasses are rendered useless in wind borne snow(they fog up and get covered with ice)

A big tarp is useful for keeping snow out of your stuff!

Get a headlight -much easier than holding an aluminum flashlight in the mouth!

Keep electronics in a hot place, the batteries dont like the cold(or just get lithium batteries)

Enjoy

/Bomber
    Last edited by Bomber; 11-28-2010 at 15:49.
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

• + New Posts