Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images

Raven Rock, NC - 24* (My lowest yet)

A friend and I hiked into the family widerness camp at Raven Rock State Park yesterday and had a surprisingly good time.

After an hour drive, we began the hike to the wilderness camp. We were notified by the ranger that is was supposed to be very cold and we were going to be the only ones out there. Fine with us!

We arrived at camp after a mild hike and began to setup. We finished gathering firewood and setting up camp aout 5:15, just as it was getting good and dark.

We cooked, then talked around the fire until about 10 pm, it was about 30 degrees by then. We both went to bed and I heard him snoring after only about 10 minutes! I watched a documentary call Revolution OS on the iPod and by 12, couldn't keep my eyes open. I crawled out of the hammock for quick tightening on one of my tarp tie downs and realized just how cold it was.

Our tarps were completely frosted over and both our hydration packs were frozen. I hurried back to the hammock, crawled in, and went to sleep. My buddy woke up at 6am like clockwork, and as usual, I slept til 8:30 or 9.

We packed up and had a beautiful walk home. We had clear blue skies and and a star filled night. Everything was absolutely perfect and non eventful, just how I like it.

I was using my Eno DN, Campmor 20 degree down bag, AHE KAQ UQ, JRB 10X11, and a home made sock. I never got cold, not even once. I slept in shorts and a hoodie.

My buddy used a rig that I built, home made hammock with whoopies, sil tarp 8x10, a home made UQ from a synthetic bag, an IX UQ, and a home made sock.

BTW checked with NOAA.gov... it got down to 24* by 6 am!!!

A personal best for me. Before HF I wouldnt hang below 40. Some of my earlier posts will prove that. I am gonna post the pictures tomorrow!

It was great trip, only about 6.5 miles total, even though the trail is marked as 5, they dont count the connector trail which is a mile. Our gps said 6.5 when were finished. It is a very mild and beautiful hike. I totally recommend this hike to anyone in NC.

Pictures!
    http://www.bobbyhancock.com/images/g...vember Hangout
    Last edited by eflat7; 11-28-2010 at 23:53. Reason: Added pics.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    This is an awesome report! I'm so glad you guys had fun and were comfy warm. Good show!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Images
    YAY! That trip was a Thing of beauty!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I love Raven Rock. I've always camped at the canoe-in sites, as I usually don't go until the family sites are closed for the season. Spent a night down to 9F in my ENO SN. That is, by far, the most beautiful NC State Park I have camped in, to date. Have you been down to the river and walked the base of the rock? It's an amazing sight. Definitely a park I will go to again and again.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip! I've still got to head out to Raven Rock sometime. I've been to most of the State Parks close by, but that one is still on my short list...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    I love Raven Rock. I've always camped at the canoe-in sites, as I usually don't go until the family sites are closed for the season. Spent a night down to 9F in my ENO SN. That is, by far, the most beautiful NC State Park I have camped in, to date. Have you been down to the river and walked the base of the rock? It's an amazing sight. Definitely a park I will go to again and again.
    It is very underrated. Definitely one of the nicest I have been to also. I have walked the river, and been to the rock. I have been coming here since I was a kid. I camped there quite a few times when I was a scout, then only once or twice as an adult. I had never done the Campbell Creek trail that I can remember. Maybe I did and forgot.

Funny thing is, it has been awhile since I have been there, so when we arrived I went right to that little trailer on the left to check in! Now they have that huge Welcome center and ranger station. I took a picture of it. It is included in the the link I posted.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    I meant to include also that very soon I plan to do a 2 nighter there. I was thinking it would be a nice easy weekend trip if I got there and hiked to the wilderness camp, then the next day hike to the canoe camp and spend a night, then hike out the last day. Would be a nice way to tour the park, and a great weekend trip...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Way to go on your low!
    Nice to be the only ones out there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Good to hear you got out there with your friend and had a grand time
    in the colder temps.

It just proves that hammocks work and work well in the colder temps !

fourdog

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    I meant to include also that very soon I plan to do a 2 nighter there. I was thinking it would be a nice easy weekend trip if I got there and hiked to the wilderness camp, then the next day hike to the canoe camp and spend a night, then hike out the last day. Would be a nice way to tour the park, and a great weekend trip...
    Seems like the family campsites close around the first of December (too lazy to check the website). That's why I always camped the canoe-in sites. It's great being the only ones out there. My first trip was solo and I was the only camper in the park for 2 nights.

They were just breaking ground on the new visitor center when I was up there, last. Need to go back and check it out.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast