Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    lay diagonally in any hammock allowas you to lay flatter on your back neo

I don't sleep on my back. Do you have to sleep on your back..I sure hope not

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've slept on my side a few times with no problem - just to try it out. The Asym design makes this pretty easy.

However, even though a lot of people are normally side- or stomach-sleepers, they find that they're perfectly comfortable sleeping on their backs in a hammock.

I think the idea is that back-sleeping is natural, but people turn to side- or stomach-sleeping because their beds are uncomfortable. Hammocks solve this.

Seems like a reasonable explanation, but I don't have any evidence to back it up. I DO know that I NEVER sleep on my back at home, but usually end up that way in my hammock, with great results too.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I think the idea is that back-sleeping is natural, but people turn to side- or stomach-sleeping because their beds are uncomfortable.

hmmmm...no

I wear a cpap mask to sleep when I am home. I told the Dr I never sleep on my back. He said that is normal and that very few people do. He said you would be all stiff the next morning if you slept on you back all night. That is why you turn over while you sleep.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    hmmmm...no

I wear a cpap mask to sleep when I am home. I told the Dr I never sleep on my back. He said that is normal and that very few people do. He said you would be all stiff the next morning if you slept on you back all night. That is why you turn over while you sleep.
    Right....and supposedly people are like this because flat beds don't provide proper, uniform body support. And hammocks do, or at least more so.

On the other hand, I don't have any evidence to support this, it's just what I've heard. All I said was that it sounds reasonable.

I do know that I sleep on my back in my hammock and wake up rested. I don't toss and turn at all either. Just my experience.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've slept on my side a few times with no problem - just to try it out. The Asym design makes this pretty easy.

However, even though a lot of people are normally side- or stomach-sleepers, they find that they're perfectly comfortable sleeping on their backs in a hammock.

I think the idea is that back-sleeping is natural, but people turn to side- or stomach-sleeping because their beds are uncomfortable. Hammocks solve this.

Seems like a reasonable explanation, but I don't have any evidence to back it up. I DO know that I NEVER sleep on my back at home, but usually end up that way in my hammock, with great results too.
    ya know, that`s me too. i used to spend a lot of time sleeping on my stomach & side, but now i usualy wake-up on my back & just as comfortable as can be.
    i still go to sleep on my side sometimes though. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Right....and supposedly people are like this because flat beds don't provide proper, uniform body support. And hammocks do, or at least more so.

I sleep on a water bed. It provides excellent proper and uniform body support but yet I still toss and turn. It is more common than you think it is.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I sleep on a water bed. It provides excellent proper and uniform body support but yet I still toss and turn. It is more common than you think it is.
    I've tried waterbeds, too. Not really much help. I've got a memory foam topped pocket coil mattress at the moment. While it's much better than others I've tried, I still sleep better in my hammock.

as long as you are comfortable that is all that matters

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've tried waterbeds, too. Not really much help. I've got a memory foam topped pocket coil mattress at the moment. While it's much better than others I've tried, I still sleep better in my hammock.
    ya know... i`ve thought about using memory foam to top an air mat... but man that stuff is heavy<G>. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Right now at home I have an aircomfort bed with the memory foam and pillow top. It is one of the most comfortable beds I have slept on. But my hammock is still more comfortable. I can sleep on my back or side without any problems. I am making my homemade hammock 5 feet wide to give me a little more wiggle room.

Another thing to consider. You are flat-ish in the hammock. I can not get prefectly flat. I am usually pretty close. But them I hang the foot end a foot or so higher, put my clothes bag underneath my knees, and use my jacket as a pillow. That is comfortable for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast