Greetings from a California girl headed down under

Hello!

My friend and I will be traveling to Australia in January for a year (backpacking and following the harvest trail). We've never tried a hammock tent but are intrigued by the versatility and light weight. We're concerned about the practicality in the outback though. Is it miserable sleeping on the ground in one of these? (we're looking at Hennessy Hammock's Scout since we are small girls and on a tight budget)

We've never been to Australia so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome. We've got quite a few HF members from down under. Hopefully some of them will see this post. I'm sure they can give lots of helpful info on the country.
    If you like, there is a HF Google map on the home page that shows were a lot of the HF members live. Then you can even contact some near your destination.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF. Sounds as if you and your friend have have real adventure planned. Keep us updated with trip reports.
    Terry

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apautler View Post
    Hello!

My friend and I will be traveling to Australia in January for a year (backpacking and following the harvest trail). We've never tried a hammock tent but are intrigued by the versatility and light weight. We're concerned about the practicality in the outback though. Is it miserable sleeping on the ground in one of these? (we're looking at Hennessy Hammock's Scout since we are small girls and on a tight budget)

We've never been to Australia so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    That sounds like a great trip! yeah the outback has a shortage of trees in most places and the best shelter then is either a light weight tent or Swag (canvas bed roll) The swags are great fun and would be a great addition to any trip to Australia. There is lots of great hammock opportunities along the east coast and along the great dividing range( mtns running north to south in eastern Australia) possibly at the fruit picking stations as well but most of the back packers I meet all get a little tent or two unless they are heading off the beaten track.

The Mangoes from Queensland are great at the moment.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

Exclamation Down-Under Mates speak up!

Hey Apaulter,
    welcome to the forums mate! So glad you are here.

Great to hear that you are going to give it a go down under. And just as Slowhike has already indicated...there are several HF members that are located in Australia, and should be able to answer many of your questions, and hopefully steer you in the right directions.

As Tim said...check the google map and then just PM the guys. And you can always just put up a post in the "General Hammock Talk" forum and ask for any needed information...and then just watch them come out of the woodwork. HF is truly international, when comes it to membership.

Cheers mate,
    Barefoot Child
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    G'day Apautler.

I find my hammock much nicer than tent camping, but for travelling this wide brown land I live in, I would personally include an option for going to ground forwhen their are no hanging options, or it is not permitted.

As a plus, most places you will visit while fruit picking etc should have good ground for camping and or hanging options. Just be aware that the Northern parts of Oz are going into their "WET" season, and when it rains IT RAINS!

As another aside, I have discovered (after helping a visiting friend) that your 12 month working visa can be extended to 24 months as long as you work in certain areas. More details here http://www.acacia-au.com/working_holiday_extensions.php

Hope this is of assistance
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

thanks! i think we'll end up taking a normal tent for the practical side and a hammock that'll fold up into our backpacks for whenever we are around trees. we're definitely sold on the idea of hammock camping.

we're hoping to avoid some of the rains in the north by starting in tasmania in january then back up to victoria. we'll go clockwise around the country ending in sydney in november. i'll be checking the google map as we move!

• + New Posts