(small) adults using a scout

I noticed that the scout fits someone up to 5'10 and 200 lbs. Even though it's intended for kids I'm 5'6 and 120 lbs so I feel like this would work for me too. I'm sure I'm not the first person to wonder this. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    My first hammock was a Scout. I'm 5'2 and was about 110 (then). It was fine. I just decided that I wanted a larger tarp, which I had ordered with the Scout, but for me, the point of the HH was lost if I needed the larger tarp. The original tarp on mine didn't line up right, either. Luckily I noticed this as I was seeing the larger tarp through the gap during a rain (I had put up both to try it all out). Others mentioned this as well, likek the tarp was asym and the hammock wasn't. This may have been fixed since then. I also didn't like the bottom entry/exit because the velcro made so much noise that a discreet exit at night for nature calls was impossible. This leads to some mirth the next morning around a campfire at group hangs. (/me glares at JJ).

Bottom line, it works fine as far as size. I didn't like the other features of the hammock. I just like a bigger hammock in general, and a top load hammock. The point of the all-in-one tarp/hammock gets lost if (when) you need the larger tarp, so there was little benefit to me to keep the Scout.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have two zippered Scouts (for my kids) and a Hyperlite for myself. I would have no worries about sleeping in the Scout, but it isn't an asym hammock and I don't think it would be as comfortable over the long haul. It is also significantly heavier than the Hyperlite, but I suppose if you converted it to whoopies slings, you would significantly lighten the load. The tarp is adequate, but barely IMHO. I have an 11x10 cat cut tarp, so it provides enough coverage for me and my two kids.

The Scout is perfect for my kids and in a pinch, I wouldn't be afraid to take it out for a short trip, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a long term hammock solution for a serious backpacker. However, for car camping or hanging out in the backyard, I would have no reservations.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm 6'3" and whilst the scout would not be a first choice - it is surprisingly comfortable and i wouldn't complain too much if i had to sleep in one (it should be way too small for me). Best if you could try one first. If you find it hard to get used to hammock sleeping maybe some of the more luxurious choices would be an easier adjustment. But otherwise i don't think you will find a scout too lacking.

• + New Posts