ss and nest

i was wondering if a nest could be placed on the outside of the ss
    just curious if anyone has ever tried this

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    This question comes up occasionally. It can be done, but the consensus seems to be why bother. I can't remember the reasons why, but if you contact JRB they can explain it. Send them a PM...

Personally, if I had the Nest, I'd add extra clothing to augment it rather than try to augment a SS with the Nest. The UQ is just so much easier than the SS.
    Last edited by Trooper; 11-20-2010 at 06:14.

im going to be camping out in alaska for at least a month so ill be in some serious cold well below o

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Do you have the Nest or the SS, or are you considering a purchase? If you haven't purchased the SS yet, I'll try to suggest other options. But, tell us what you actually have and we'll see what we can make work for you.

im on the fence about them, im selling all my stuff on ebay ps3 ipod games n what not. it deepend what i pull in
    i want a nest but my question was more like has anyone done it cuz ill have to beef up both set ups to stay warm below 0 but im curious as to what they can do together

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Do you have the Nest or the SS, or are you considering a purchase? If you haven't purchased the SS yet, I'll try to suggest other options. But, tell us what you actually have and we'll see what we can make work for you.
    Right, let us know where you are starting from. I'm one of those few who actually thinks the SS is pretty dang good. But I'm not sure it would make much sense to plan on getting these two (Nest plus SS) planning on augmenting one with the other. OTOH, if you already have both, well that's different!

Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    im going to be camping out in alaska for at least a month so ill be in some serious cold well below o
    Well, that is a long way from what most people can do with either a Nest or a SS, obviously. Again though, depending on what you already have, there are many systems that are easily souped up.

I have never augmented a SS by surrounding it with a down UQ, but I don't see why it wouldn't work pretty good. Might be a lot of adjusting involved. The Nest would have to be just barely touching the SS- and with enough pressure to snug the UC up against the HH pad(or very close). While not having enough pressure so as to compress the Nest's down.

For me the SS is good to the low 40s, maybe even low 30s, by itself(1 UC, 1 OCF pad and 1 space blanket on top of the pad). Some folks do better than this, others don't do nearly as good. Some find it unusable at any temp due to unsolvable condensation problems. (so far, never a bit of condensation for me long as I use the space bl.) So that is ~35-45*F worth of protection for me from the SS. So how much additional protection does a Nest(non-winter nest?) provide? Also about 45*F worth of protection? 75 minus rating of 30= 45? So the question is, does adding the
    two get you a total of 80*F worth of protection? I don't know, if it did that should be good for about minus 5.

I have taken my SS to the teens and been warm by adding down vests/fleece jackets in the UC, under the OCF pad. Plus using the HH kidney/torso pads. Again, you should read that post by kwpapke. He did quite well(warm at minus 5 to minus 27) by adding various items( ex: 30* down bag) in the SSUC.

Boy, I hope after I wrote all that that you already have a SS! Guess I should have checked first! (DUH!)

Images
    OK, now I see you are starting from scratch. Have you considered a PeaPod with a narrow hammock or better yet a PolarPod?
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok
    These are pretty bomb proof by themselves, ( dang I wish they would post specs at the web site) and are really easy to boost by adding quilts/parkas whatever below and on top.

A JRB MW4 ( http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm ) gets you about zero out of the box, but I'm not sure of the best ways to boost it for below zero? Maybe a MMG IX sock? Or, of course, CCF pads.

Most of the winter stuff available (JRB,WB, Hammockgear?) seems to be rated to about zero when used alone(but some can be customized), and will need augmentation for well below zero. You are also going to have to be really sure of your ability to block the wind.
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=6

thanks billybob i have i have whole other thread about my planned set up in the general hammock talk tilted need some help
    but because of my budget i cant afford much so im trying to use what i got. luckly i will have a wood stove
    im really surprised by this site n helpful you guys are
    i was really nervous about all this but after searches and your guys advice im thinking i can do this

Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    Then you need a Kifaru Tipi and stove. Hammocks suck below zero. I've "camped out" in AK down to minus 54 with a heated tent, and down to minus 20 without one. Trust me, you want a heated shelter. There are some places in AK where the wind isn't much of an issue in the winter (Fairbanks), and there are places where 50mph is merely a stiff breeze (the coast and ALL of the mountain ranges). What works great on the AT doesn't always carry over to the arctic.
    Last edited by Take-a-knee; 11-20-2010 at 13:28.

i have a stove i just tested it on my porch n its hot heated the whole area up nice and shelter will be smaller

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast