hands -
    Smartwool liner glove
    thinsulate 200 gram fleece glove

feet -
    wool sleep sock
    Thermarest sit pad under feet

TQ -
    Marmot 15 degree down sleeping bag zipped to knees

I was well fed and kept the calorie train rolling all 3 nights.

Once again it was 26 degrees the first night where I had cold butt.

It was 28 the second night after I adjusted the suspension and was warm as can be, I even woke up with my TQ rolled to my stomach and was even a little hot; enough for me to zip my jacket down and take my gloves off.

The 3rd night was 29 and once again was toasty warm.

I personally don't feel the necessity for shock or bungy cord to wrap over the ridgeline to pull the CN closer to the hammock if you perform the aforementioned suspension tweaking. I believe that CNs don't even come with the "pull up" grosgrain on them anymore.

I did receive a winter Incubator this weekend which has 3 "pull up points" along the side of the quilt that I do feel are helpful for getting the leg portion of the quilt pulled up close to the hammock. This is only due to the sheer length of the quilt that I added the shock cord over the ridgeline and only for the leg portion (there is another pullup under the low back and at the chest region of the UQ).
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 11-29-2010 at 12:28. Reason: More Info

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I did receive a winter Incubator this weekend which has 3 "pull up points" along the side of the quilt that I do feel are helpful for getting the leg portion of the quilt pulled up close to the hammock. This is only due to the sheer length of the quilt that I added the shock cord over the ridgeline and only for the leg portion (there is another pullup under the low back and at the chest region of the UQ).
    Similarly, I added shockcord to the head/foot end tabs of my Incubator. I find that this "stretches" the UQ out rather than letting it bunch under me (one of the advantages of length-wise baffles). This gets it even more snugged up to my body.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I also took my 3Season CN out for a maiden voyage this weekend, so I will add to your thread..

-Low temp of 15*F and I was toasty warm (I am a warm sleeper).
    -3 things that impact overall comfort...TQ, UQ, clothing. Every report should include these 3 things.
    My setup was a 0*F rated TQ, 3S CN, and a lightweight polypro baselayer w/black rock beanie and midweight wool socks.
    -the CN needs additional support to hold it tight up against your butt. I personally used bungie cord tied from each of the foot-end corners and over the ridgeline. That pulled the UQ tight against me and took away any CBS (cold butt syndrom)

overall, I'm thrilled by how warm I was. I using the same setup I think I have another 10-15*F
    Nice! I am a bit of a cold sleeper but I think I can get below the quilt's rating too, once I get rid of the CBS-causing gap. Did you get the 900fp?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I did forget to mention, all of my UQ's are 900 fp. Summer CN, 3 season CN, and Winter Incubator.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    OP, great piece of gear you picked up. May I suggest that if you are planning to use this the 3 SCN UQ for the NJ hang you may want to add supplemental insulation underneath you or at least test it outside your house in NJ winter night time temps. Last year it was in the lower teens on Friday night and down to seven on Saturday night. Dont know how you sleep (warm or cold sleeper) but if you have the chance to test it out its' better to find out before the hang rather then at 3am in 7 degrees. I (very un-smartly) tried out new gear last year at the NJ hang and lets just say it was a HUGE learning experience and one I do not wish to repeat.

So back on topic, how did you secure the UQ to the hammock? Did you use the provided line locks? I found that as snug as I like the UQ to be the line locks slipped a bit throughout the night and did not hold the UQ snug enough against the hammock. What I found to work better on my winter crows nest is tieing a knot at the end of one of the shock cord loops instead of useing a line lock. In a sense the same thing as Tendertoe did but instead of cutting the shock cord, I just tied a knot to shorten it. This made the UQ way more snug preventing cold but syndrome. Another idea in really really cold temps is to use a but pad for just under you but, and to keep your feet warm slipping a 1/4 ccf pad into your TQ foot box and having the pad extend to your knees keeping warm the lower half of your lower body that is not insulated by the 3/4 UQ. Enjoy the new gear and looking forward to meeting you at the NJ hang.

EDIT: well after posting I see that you have plenty of insulation for winter camping (a winter incubator very nice cant wait to check it out) and looks like you'll be plenty toast warm at the NJ winter hang. Just out of curiousity why use the 3 SCN at the NJ winter hang instead of the winter incubator? see you their.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    OP, great piece of gear you picked up. May I suggest that if you are planning to use this the 3 SCN UQ for the NJ hang you may want to add supplemental insulation underneath you or at least test it outside your house in NJ winter night time temps. Last year it was in the lower teens on Friday night and down to seven on Saturday night. Dont know how you sleep (warm or cold sleeper) but if you have the chance to test it out its' better to find out before the hang rather then at 3am in 7 degrees. I (very un-smartly) tried out new gear last year at the NJ hang and lets just say it was a HUGE learning experience and one I do not wish to repeat.

So back on topic, how did you secure the UQ to the hammock? Did you use the provided line locks? I found that as snug as I like the UQ to be the line locks slipped a bit throughout the night and did not hold the UQ snug enough against the hammock. What I found to work better on my winter crows nest is tieing a knot at the end of one of the shock cord loops instead of useing a line lock. In a sense the same thing as Tendertoe did but instead of cutting the shock cord, I just tied a knot to shorten it. This made the UQ way more snug preventing cold but syndrome. Another idea in really really cold temps is to use a but pad for just under you but, and to keep your feet warm slipping a 1/4 ccf pad into your TQ foot box and having the pad extend to your knees keeping warm the lower half of your lower body that is not insulated by the 3/4 UQ. Enjoy the new gear and looking forward to meeting you at the NJ hang.

EDIT: well after posting I see that you have plenty of insulation for winter camping (a winter incubator very nice cant wait to check it out) and looks like you'll be plenty toast warm at the NJ winter hang. Just out of curiousity why use the 3 SCN at the NJ winter hang instead of the winter incubator? see you their.
    I actually didn't cut it. I tied a marlinspike hitch with a mini s biner till I got it dialed in (kept moving it closer and closer), then tied an overhand knot once I found the sweet spot. It does work great!

I wish I was going to the NJ hang with my incubator. I don't think the OP has an incubator.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I personally don't feel the necessity for shock or bungy cord to wrap over the ridgeline to pull the CN closer to the hammock if you perform the aforementioned suspension tweaking. I believe that CNs don't even come with the "pull up" grosgrain on them anymore.

Happy you found a system that works for you!

I forgot to mention that I was using a DIY hammock that is 11' long and more than makes up for any "extra" shockcord.
    Without seeing your setup, I'm guessing when you added your spike hitch, you "moved" the suspension tie point from the end of the hammock to a point closer to your head. Both methods accomplish the exact same thing (except with an 11' hammock, I don't have any extra suspension to play with )

Again, great job thinking outside the box!

PS - and I have no idea what tie outs come standard with the CN. The one I received last week had grosgrain tie outs in all four corners, but none along the length of the UQ. I simply used the 2 tieouts on the foot end
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    My last cold weather test with my crowsnest got be down to 15°, and I think I'm middle-of-the-road warm/cold sleeper. My UQ has grosgrain tie-outs in the middle of the quilt that I used to snug the middle of the quilt (w/shockcord). I think this helped a lot. I was warm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    OP, great piece of gear you picked up. May I suggest that if you are planning to use this the 3 SCN UQ for the NJ hang you may want to add supplemental insulation underneath you or at least test it outside your house in NJ winter night time temps.
    Yep, I'll be bringing extra blankets/pads, and two JRB quilts so I should have enough insulation. And of course, plenty of backyard testing

So back on topic, how did you secure the UQ to the hammock? Did you use the provided line locks?
    Yes, just the provided line locks. I didn't notice any slipping on them so far, but that's possible. I'll bear that in mind as well when I try it later this week. Thanks for the tip!

Enjoy the new gear and looking forward to meeting you at the NJ hang.

I think we met at MAHHA. If I'm not mistaken my wife Marlana and I camped out behind you. My wife was in the green tent.

That's Tendertoe that has the Incubator, I've only got 3 season quilts so I will probably either double up or add a pad to supplement for the deep winter hangs.

-Jay

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    Nice! I am a bit of a cold sleeper but I think I can get below the quilt's rating too, once I get rid of the CBS-causing gap. Did you get the 900fp?
    yes, 900 fill, 1 oz overstuff
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast