WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles

Cold weather test (3S crowsnest) - 19°

Last night was supposed to get down to 24 so I figured it was a perfect opportunity to test out my new 3 Season Crowsnest in preparation for the Dec NJ/PA hang and the Jersey winter hang.

Unfortunately I didn't think to get pics of my setup before I took it down. I used my GT Ultralight hammock with the 3S Crowsnest (900fp) and my JRB Sierra Sniveler for a TQ. Under my feet I use a Thermarest Lite Seat in the footbox of the quilt. No tarp (I haven't figured out how to rig one on my patio yet). For clothes, I had on warm-up pants, a wool t-shirt, and long-sleeved fleece. I also had a hat, scarf and thick wool socks.

Weather report says low of 24°, but my thermometer recorded a low of 19° for the night (a second other thermometer that caps out at 20 also read 20°). Verdict was mixed. I slept OK... not toasty warm or waking up sweating, but I suspect I need some tuning.

The good:
    * Hot water bottle - added this about 5am after I got up for a bathroom break and slept like a rock until the neighbor's dog woke me up
    * Crowsnest was easier to keep snugged up against the hammock at the ends, so less cold air gusts
    * Feet got a little cold, but my legs were ok with the 3/4 UQ. I was worried about that and happy to see it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The bad:
    * I ended up with a bunch of frost on the quilts - tarp would have helped a lot and possibly removed this problem altogether.
    * persistent Cold Butt Syndrome - I noticed there was a sizable gap of air between the bottom of the hammock and the quilt, though the ends were snug to the hammock. It seemed like it was holding in some cold. I ended up tucking the scarf under me and that helped a lot.
    * when I use the Lite Seat it likes to find the "ridge" of fabric under my legs and wedge itself, making the ridge very pronounced.

I managed down to 19-20° or so which is right near the temp rating on the 3S Crowsnest, but I think I could have been a lot warmer. The gap between hammock and quilt, and the leg ridge problem both could be from not having the sag on the hammock right. I don't have a ridgeline on the GT UL, and the hammock stand I have is low to the ground so makes it hard to get the sag right. My gut feeling is I can get this setup to go lower if it's rigged up right, but I need more practice. I may add a ridgeline this week and try again on Fri when it's supposed to hit 22°.

-Jay

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Good report Jay, thanks. I'm new to the hammock-scene and have no cold-weather experience so this is quite timely. I'm fashioning a little DIY project I hope to practice with before the NJ hang in Jan. Yes, pics next time! :-)

Syb

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I had a similar issue with the gap between my 3 season nest and my hammock 2 weekends ago. On Friday night, I slept a bit cold. Cold butt etc. It got down to 26 which is still in the range of the nest. So, on Saturday, I tied a marlinspike hitch in the head end suspension with the plastic s biner that came with the nest.

I fine tuned and fine tuned and ended up taking a loop of shock cord about 6 inches long out of the suspension (which is actually 12 inches because it is doubled over). It snugged the quilt right up to the hammock and as soon as I lay down, I was instantly warm from underneath.

Even though the suspension seems to be snugging the quilt up under you, you can still snug it more by taking more shock cord up.

It seems that he provides a generic suspension for even the longest hammock (I have a Skeeterbeater that I chopped the bugnetting off that I use in my basement that is 12-13 feet long if I remember correctly, much longer than my WBBB). So the nest would work perfectly with no adjustment needed on that.

Try it out and tell us if that was the issue or not.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I fine tuned and fine tuned and ended up taking a loop of shock cord about 6 inches long out of the suspension (which is actually 12 inches because it is doubled over). It snugged the quilt right up to the hammock and as soon as I lay down, I was instantly warm from underneath.
    That's a really great tip, thanks! I will have to try shortening the suspension up and give this another go. It won't be that cold again until Friday but I will definitely report back.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    The good:
    * Crowsnest was easier to keep snugged up against the hammock at the ends, so less cold air gusts
    Jay, easier than what? What was your previous setup?
    Glad to hear you were warm. I am considering a Summer CN for temps over 45°-70°ish, so I am interested to hear how the CN fits your hammock. I missed the HG Black Friday sale, which is too bad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    (I have a Skeeterbeater that I chopped the bugnetting off that I use in my basement that is 12-13 feet long if I remember correctly, much longer than my WBBB).
    I have the SB Pro, and it is 10' 6", if I recall. That is 6" longer than the WBBB. I believe the GT SB Pro is the longest production single out there. I would very much like to figure out a zip off mod for the bug net, so I understand why you removed yours.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Jay, easier than what? What was your previous setup?
    Glad to hear you were warm. I am considering a Summer CN for temps over 45°-70°ish, so I am interested to hear how the CN fits your hammock. I missed the HG Black Friday sale, which is too bad for me.
    I have 2 JRB quilts, a Hudson River and the Sierra Sniveler. I was going to use the HR as my main under-insulation but it's now become my wife's TQ - that's what I get for loaning it to her to try it out - so I got a 3S crowsnest to replace it since I wanted to try a 3/4 UQ.

I am pretty sure the main difference is the differential cut, it just makes it easier to get snugged up to the hammock at the ends. My guess is if I'd had a JRB differential UQ like the Mt. Washington it'd have been comparable. It was a little harder to get the Hudson River dialed in, but when I did I had the warmest night I've had in a hammock so far, and woke up sweating at 32°

Just ordered a Summer Crowsnest myself, couldn't resist the Black Friday sale

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Jay, thanks for that description. I still consider myself a hammocking noob, as I have only about 10 nights hanging so far. I converted a sleeping bag to an UQ (no beauty awards, but it seems to work ok), and honestly, it is the only UQ I have actually seen, the rest are all pics only. As such, I have a limited grasp of UQs. I am hoping to see more at the Heart of Dixie Hang in a week and a half, and I hope to have a full length incubator by this weekend, and I am backpacking with the troop then.

Yea, Black Friday was focused on the kids, so the CN was not in the budget. But I still have my synthetic DIY UQ, but I did weigh it this weekend, and I was shocked it came in at 38 oz! The 11 oz Summer CN seems like heaven by comparison.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Always a good idea to test your gear before getting stuck in the woods. As we are getting some temps in the 30's where I live, I have been testing my gear with different combinations of pads and sleeping bags (I use the bags as TQ's) to find out what works at what temps. I want to get a UQ but it is not in the budget right now so I work with what I have.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Jay, thanks for that description. I still consider myself a hammocking noob, as I have only about 10 nights hanging so far. I converted a sleeping bag to an UQ (no beauty awards, but it seems to work ok), and honestly, it is the only UQ I have actually seen, the rest are all pics only. As such, I have a limited grasp of UQs. I am hoping to see more at the Heart of Dixie Hang in a week and a half, and I hope to have a full length incubator by this weekend, and I am backpacking with the troop then.
    I'm right there with you, I'm a newbie myself. Last night's test was in preparation for a Dec NJ/PA hang and the Jersey winter hang so I can be sure I won't turn myself into a "hammocicle". I'm shooting for a system that will work at 0-10° (last year's reported low was 7° at the jersey hang)

Going to MAHHA this fall was really cool to be able to see all the different gear people have and what works for different folks. One of the hardest things about hammocks is there's so much great gear it's hard to pick! It's a good problem to have

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I also took my 3Season CN out for a maiden voyage this weekend, so I will add to your thread..

-Low temp of 15*F and I was toasty warm (I am a warm sleeper).
    -3 things that impact overall comfort...TQ, UQ, clothing. Every report should include these 3 things.
    My setup was a 0*F rated TQ, 3S CN, and a lightweight polypro baselayer w/black rock beanie and midweight wool socks.
    -the CN needs additional support to hold it tight up against your butt. I personally used bungie cord tied from each of the foot-end corners and over the ridgeline. That pulled the UQ tight against me and took away any CBS (cold butt syndrom)

overall, I'm thrilled by how warm I was. I using the same setup I think I have another 10-15*F
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast