Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1.9 ripstop too light?

Ed lists his 1.9 ripstop as having a max weight of 250 lbs.... is there a heavier weight for those of us that are heavier guys? I am 250-260 & relying on hope in a hammock would make me really uncomfortable. Esp when I am out in the woods.

Images
    the claytor jungle hammock is rated at 350 lbs and is made of "244 ripstop Nylon" - I don't know what that is and I don't know how it compares to 1.9.

The Clark jungle hammock is also rated at 350 lbs but I don't know what type of ripstop - you can call them and I'm sure they will tell you.

I have both but don't know ripstop well enough to tell the difference, but the claytor material feels a littler thicker than the clark, however, the clark has pockets sewn into the bottom of the hammock which you would think would require more substantial material.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i suspect ed's just playing it safe w/ that rating.
    but if you wanted to play it even safer, you could make a two layer hammock w/ one 1.9oz layer & one 1.1oz layer.
    you could even put a pad in between the two layers if you left a section not sewn together near one end & on one side.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I checked Eds site & the material he uses on the hammock for heavy weights is a different material. I emailed him & asked if he sold it as well. Will let you all know what he says, just to let anyone who might care know!

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    the claytor jungle hammock is rated at 350 lbs and is made of "244 ripstop Nylon" - I don't know what that is and I don't know how it compares to 1.9.
    244 might be in reference to the threadcount for the fabric. The higher the threadcount, the tighter the weave, the stronger the cloth. For example, on cheaper tent (sorry is that a "four letter word" on the hammock forums- I'm new please forgive me) models, you may see them note 190T fabric.

well crap.... The piece of material (thru Ed, which is doubtless cheaper than I would be able to get it most anywhere else) alone is going to run me about $27 before shipping... plus the $10 I would have to put down to get the thread for it, & not counting the money I would spend on webbing & rope... I tihnk I might just be better off getting a doublenest from ENO, & building off of that. :/ Kinda sucks, I wanted to try the DIY thing because I thought it would save me money.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you can find $1/yd fabric from Walmart it will be. I still have some in the for sale forum if you're interested.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Anybody know if you can buy that stuff they make the ENO, Bliss, etc hammocks out of? Its really light and the hammock is rated for more weight than the hennesy, like you can supposedly load 2 people in the ENO double (duh, hence the name I guess).

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    Anybody know if you can buy that stuff they make the ENO, Bliss, etc hammocks out of? Its really light and the hammock is rated for more weight than the hennesy, like you can supposedly load 2 people in the ENO double (duh, hence the name I guess).
    You may contact Ticket To The Moon Hammocks. They are a manufacturer and may sell you some of the fabric. They will even make you a custom hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Ive used a single piece of 1.9 oz ripstop in a DIY Speer setup and I weight 270 lbs with no problems on my aborted Thru-Hike this year. It went over 200 mi before I retired it for a double laryered hammock made out of 1.1 oz rip (which has about 250 mi on it now) and its held my weight fine. Although Im careful no to bounce around too much.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast