WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by RLSV211 View Post
    I think it is called Doren Park. It is out on a small piece of land. I am not sure there will be trees big enough to hang. If not we will see how well they can lash.
    It has been a while since i was at doren but i think the trees were fairly spread out. if you want a place in norcal to go that has great trees for hanging go to china camp. admittedly it isnt the greatest campground, but it is great for hammocking. and if you live in marin/sonoma/napa it is only 20-30 min away.

only other decent options i have found required some stealth camping... probably not what you want to do with scouts
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season Set
    Suspension
    Standard webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by RLSV211 View Post
    I think it is called Doren Park. It is out on a small piece of land. I am not sure there will be trees big enough to hang. If not we will see how well they can lash.
    Is this the place?

http://www.sonoma-county.org/parks/pk_doran.htm

I've never camped there, but have done the Dillan's Beach and Bodega Dunes (Sonoma State Park) before.

Did you find a good tarp for the trip, or are you still considering the tent fly?

Would think the ocean fog, rain, mist would be an issue for the hammock if the tent fly doesn't fit close to the ground to block the elements.

Definitely post a trip report, curious to hear about new spots to camp in that area.

Banned
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

If you desire to come North up to the true NorCal and spend a weekend in the Redwoods of Humboldt county drop me a message and we'll get hooked up and I'm sure I have some gear sitting around I can pass your way!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Welcome to the madness. You will love the BB. I only use a tarp if I think it might rain, otherwise I like to enjoy the stars overhead.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Welcome. When I read your first post I had to laugh..... that "one good nap" thing did me in as well. I bought a hammock to take on my river trips for napping, and after the most relaxing & comfy sleep I'd had in a long time, I was a goner. Now I'm knee deep in more hammocks, tarps, suspension, and quilts. It's a really fun addiction.
    I just changed from Kelty Noah to OES tarps, but the Keltys are super tarps.

Images
    Welcome,

Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY
    Thanks for all the input. I live in Clayton which sits at the base of Mount Diablo. It would be a great place to hang but a lot of the trees are large oaks.

I did not pick this place for this weekend. In fact the only reason I am going is to try my stuff out. There are a lot of good places around the Bay Area to camp and I would guess most would be good for a hammock.

As far as a tarp REI is out of the 9 but have the 12 on sale but my local store did not have one. I will look around.

I have been concerned about fog and dew at the ocean. If I can find a 12 I think I will pick it up so I can enclose the hammock a little more. I will buy a 9 or custom at a different time. I like the look of the 9 and will get one in the spring.

As far as the true north coast I think it is one of the most beautiful place in the world. Several years ago I did the lost coast trail. It was a different hike. I dreamed about not walking on sand and flat ground. This summer the scouts are going to scout camp just outside of Wilits. I may go just to spend a few nights in the trees.

Some of my favorite places to camp is Lake Trinity. We stay at Tannery Gulch and it is great for hammock. Can not wait until next year.

Hammock
    WBBB, Green Mountain
    Tarp
    Noah
    Insulation
    DIY
    @ Jason ya tahrs the place. I look at Google earth and it looks like there were a few trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12