Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I'll second that.
    Tried to use some that were expired a few weeks ago and they didn't even get a little bit warm.
    They were WAY out of date, but I expected at least a little warmth... and got nothing.
    Always had great results with non-expired ones though.

Also, geez... 20 years ago, or more... I had a hand warmer pack that was about the same size as a hot hands pack, but thicker. It was flexible clear plastic with clear liquid and a little metal disc inside. Whey you flex the disk it would activate the warming. As the pack expended heat the clear liquid inside would crystalize.
    Dropping the pack in boiling water would "recharge" it and make the crystal convert back to liquid.
    It was an awesome, reusable little bit of kit.
    Anyone know is there is a reusable product like that on the market today?
    You can still get them. They only have about a 4 hr heat time at most, from what the ads say. Google "reusable handwarmer"

Bump!
    HeatWave HotHands makes hats, gloves,socks with built in pockets for the packets. On Amazon. I'm thinking is best to just stuff them into whatever gloves, hats, socks you already have will work better?

BTW, Amazon wants about $27 for 80 packets supposed to last 10 hours....
    + Warbonnet
    + Weapons
    + Wilderness Press

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I'll second that.
    Tried to use some that were expired a few weeks ago and they didn't even get a little bit warm.
    They were WAY out of date, but I expected at least a little warmth... and got nothing.

Also, geez... 20 years ago, or more... I had a hand warmer pack that was about the same size as a hot hands pack, but thicker. It was flexible clear plastic with clear liquid and a little metal disc inside. Whey you flex the disk it would activate the warming. As the pack expended heat the clear liquid inside would crystalize.
    Dropping the pack in boiling water would "recharge" it and make the crystal convert back to liquid.
    I have these and will be trying them at my first real hang this weekend. I'll also grab whatever is at the counter at Dicks/Sports Authority/Home Depot.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Images

re

Sounds like the reusable ones only last a few hours. Probably more suited to playing out in the yard for a while or as a backup heat source in the middle of the night than a heat source you plan to have on all night long.

I purchased a 20 pack of some brand or another at TJ Max last week and they barely get warm at all. No idea if there was an expiration date on them package or not.

My favorite so far is my Zippo hand warmer as it will stay warm for a solid 48 hour depending on how much fuel you get in it but its not going inside a glove or boot.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I have used the HotHands brand packs quite a bit while Salmon/Steelhead fishing and they work great! They get quite hot after a while and they stay warm for 4 or 5 hours.

Hammock
    Hennessey Exp Zippereed Dlx A-Sim
    Tarp
    Hennessey 70D "HEX
    Insulation
    BA+Mtn,Hinman pad
    Suspension
    straps & carabiner
    Images
    I got some for river running, only to find out that they were useless after they got soaked. Like to froze my hands off that day. Water and air temps were in the mid 40's and it was a cold 6 hours till we returned to the car. Won't make that mistake again.
    Greg Dunlap
    Santa Rosa, CA
    38.478156 N
    122.754598 W
    157 feet above sea level

[email protected]

Vietnam Security Police Life Member 361
    366th SPS K-9 Association Webmaster
    Da Nang, RVN TET 1968 - TET 1969
    Blackie 129X

I like the chemical ones...

Especially the foot warmers. they are very good...

and also it can be disposed without any harm to the environment.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    My Favorite Chemical Foot Warmers For Cold Hammock Hangs? Why that would be H2O, the boiled sort in a bottle and a sock. It will heat up the whole hammock and stays warm all night. Then I have warm water to get that first cup of coffee out fast in the morning instead of an ice block. The other upside is no leftovers...I like to keep the amount of trash I carry to a minimum.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am not a chemist so I don't know the periodic table of elements symbols that would represent my Goose feet down booties. There is a coffee symbol and one for Bacon(or at least there should be) so I believe a symbol for down is do-able.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'll second that.

I havent used them in a hang yet but the "rechargable' ones are what i've used. I've used them winter camping in a tent quite a bit. I love them. the heat doesnt last a terribly long time but they are mostly a backup. there have been times when i wake up with cold feet so I activate one, put it down by my feet, and back to sleep i go.
    Here in Canada, you can get them at Lee Valley Tools. They would last indefinitely except that the plastic bag will start to break down over time (I've had mine for 4 or 5 years and are still fine).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12