WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with the UQ crowd. I find the compression of the hammock against my body makes my back cool even in warmer weather. When I hang in my basement there is a very noticeable difference between the warmth created by even just wearing a T shirt and having the T shirt up against my back when laying in my hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    well hopefully I can try my thin fleece sleeping bag as an extra layer to the mix till I can order a lower rated TQ thanks guys

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Having the warmer quilt underneath you will definitely help. But extending a 20ºF bag to 0ºF may require you to add more puffy clothing, or a liner of some sort. Perhaps a fleece bag liner would help.

Be sure to cover your head with a hood if not using the bag mummy-style. That makes a big difference.
    The liner is a good idea - a silk bag liner (pretty inexpensive from ebay) should boost the "TQ" by about 10-15 degrees or so and is lightweight. It also makes a good standalone TQ for late spring to early fall use, depending on where you are hanging.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Well heat rises, so having an adequate TQ is a must (like wearing a hat). But the coverage needs to be somewhat consistent or you will end up with cold spots. Cold is cold no matter if it is top or bottom.

I think what makes the UQ so important in a hammock is that the way the hammock wraps around you, and therefore the areas it can compress, make the UQ cover the majority of your body and the TQ covers much less - especially in comparison to a pad on the ground.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well I will pray for double digit winter camping until next summer when I can order a TQ for winter lol Plus if I use the fleece bag as a throw with the 20 ° bag as a TQ then wear a hat face mask wool sox's etc I think or should I say hope I will be fine lol. don't it suc.k The wants in one hand and what amount of money you have in the other lol
    Last edited by Can't Wait; 12-01-2010 at 13:44.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Without a good pad and or UQ it will not matter how good your TQ is. Also be sure to try and test your system in a controlled environment like your back yard so if things do not work out as planned you have someplace to escape to. Nothing worse than a night spent freezing.
    Last edited by gunner76; 12-02-2010 at 22:27.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Definitely for me the UQ plays a larger role in warmth. You can add insulated clothing to supplement your top quilt, but this provides no help on the bottom when it is compressed underneath you. I've taken a No Sniveler down to 14 degrees and stayed toasty warm using a mid weight wool top, and a MW4 below me.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Being a SB/UQ user, my opinion is this: Underquilts aren't for boosting your sleeping bag beyond it's rated temp, they are for allowing you to *approach* the rated temp.

I would not want to use my 15 rated Eureka Casper with UQ much lower than 25F. I would not want to use my 0 rated EMS Boreal with UQ much lower than 10F.

I think I would *survive* at each bag's rated temperature, using my UQ... but I don't think I'd get a lot of restful sleep, which for me is what it's all about. I've done it, and shivering all night long just sucks.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I would say an UQ ..... you will be fine with yourbag as a TQ till you can get one....just wear your jacket if you get alittle cold...or lay it acoss the top of you

a fleece SB will def help alot...that should give you at least 15 degrees more in your setup ...i use one while car camping in the winter for extra warmth
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    I would say an UQ ..... you will be fine with yourbag as a TQ till you can get one....just wear your jacket if you get alittle cold...or lay it acoss the top of you

a fleece SB will def help alot...that should give you at least 15 degrees more in your setup ...i use one while car camping in the winter for extra warmth
    I wasn't trying to make the bag go zero on me alone was going to augment it with the thin fleece bag and clothing . Now in saying all that I do hope it's not that dam cold for the feb Hang lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12