Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I am planning on purchasing a superfly. I'd have to be honest and say if it were outsourced to china I'd reconsider that purchase. I hope I get to buy an American made Superfly.
    I am with ya on that.... That is why I am ordering tonight, or tomorrow just to insure.. I have no problems with Brandons decisions either way....the company is his baby and I wish him the best.. He is like the talented little brother I never had....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Planning on making most of my stuff but if the situation occurs where you offer a product I need for a price I can afford that for some reason I cannot produce, I'll buy it from you guy, regardless of where you had it made.

Probably the majority of people on this forum and in America itself feel the same way, judging by sales figures at Walmart and such. It's just a pain in the rear end to say such a thing and you don't sound as high and mighty as the folks on the other side of the conversation.

Where's the market heading for Hammock camping? Are we at the forefront of a movement and will it become a mainstay in 50 more years? Or will it always be a side shoot of the market, a mere novelty. My limited camping and hammock experience have shown me it's far more comfortable and I would generally think it would grow. If the demand increases there is no way you'll be able to supply product for it using local labor. It simply costs too much. I don't know about the rest of these guys, but when I go for a paycheck, I don't like to see a box that says 'Labor of Love' with an amount of simulated dollars next to it. As a cottage industry you take a lot of your personal payment in that box. They don't take those kind of dollars at the electric company or grocery store, neither will your employees.

"So, charge more, I'd pay it." I've heard that before and it's true for those that can do it. I'd like to show an example of that very thing that I've seen in my 2 or 3 weeks on this website. Recently a member purchased an excellent Hatchet. The quality is impeccable, Craftsmanship beautiful and price at about 150 +shipping probably reasonable. My camp hatchet of about the same size came from K-mart for 15-20 bucks. I am NOT knocking this members purchase. It was right for him and it's a lot better piece than what I have. The majority of people just need a tool to get the job done and have not the finances to pay 750 percent more. The manufacturer of the item, I've never heard the name of before. I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of K-mart, which you could just substitute Walmart brand name for. It is 30 years later after all and the Hatchet is doing fine.

Are you going to be the guy who sells to a select number of clients like the Hatchet manufacturer or the guy that wants to sell to every breathing American. It's your brand name and you decide that. I'll respect your decision either way. If, however, you can make your desired living and business profile by Selling WBBB's at Walmart for 30 bucks a pop, I'd probably have 2 of them, more if I'm taking family camping. It's just the way things are.

But you are in a forum of folks on the cutting edge. Many of the DIY projects show you how to take readily available material and make the items you need for Ultra Light weight backpacking. A sport whose mission statement seems to be 'Making walking as expensive as possible for X number of years.' It doesn't have to be, but it can be. You pay to purchase quality, LITE, items. Or make them yourself if possible.

Whether they like it or not, it's a Global Market and we need to educate and structure ourselves that way.

You gotta look out for number one and do what's best for you and to come out andbe open about a TRIAL run in China as a possibility of production I think is cool bro. You definitely didn't have to bring attention to it, you could've just changed the wording on your site and the tag on the product so kudos.

However, for me, it's about helping out local americans. I know that that piece of gear is getting the personal attention of the craftsman. It's about helping out people trying to fulfill their goals because of the product they put out and the time they put into it. Once you get to a certain point, it makes sense to do what you're considering. Business isn't charity. But, as a consumer I care about where my dollar goes too. I'd rather have those dollars go to other people trying to do the same thing and if they put out a standard of work I can completely trust then they'll get my business. It's evolution. I personally will always try to look for the small entrepanuer when I can, but would never knock someone for making a smart business move for them. Who knows, maybe in a few years you'l be able to buy a Warbonnett at Gander Mtn.!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I purchased a new SuperFly and it was defective BUT after a number of e-mails back and forth directly with Brandon, a decision was made to return it for re-work. Very fast turn around, refund for shipping (not required from me) and problem solved. I placed an order for a Traveler this morning my 5th or 6th major purchase from Warbonnet. I will continue to support him because of his high standards but am concerned about off shore outsourcing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I am planning on purchasing a superfly. I'd have to be honest and say if it were outsourced to china I'd reconsider that purchase. I hope I get to buy an American made Superfly.
    your superfly will be made in the usa, and it will cover your imported eno doublenest perfectly.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    your superfly will be made in the usa, and it will cover your imported eno doublenest perfectly.
    If I'm gonna lay down some money I'd rather it go to a hardworking American. I don't consider my eno too much of a drop in the pan. I would love to have a WB traveler to go under my superfly. Maybe I'll order both at the same time.
    Last edited by HamMike; 01-07-2011 at 18:26.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    LOL but seriously why reconsider something made out of country. More then 90% of the products you consume daily are made, assembled or designed out of country.

Even if it says made in USA or whatever it may only mean that the final assembly took place there. Dont be so hard on Brandon he is simply doin what any good business man looking to grow his product does.
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Ya gotta give the guy props for being upfront about it. I don't think I was being hard on him. He should take it as a compliment that someone would rather have a product made by him than who knows who. Keep up the good work!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

I think it makes perfect sense Mike, pretty much the same sentiment as myself and I do think itshould be a compliment to his success.

It's the same as buying my veggies local when I can from the farmers market,no?

Images
    my feelings aren't hurt yet

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast