Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am going to apologize for using the word GREED. I was not thinking of WB when I used that term. I was just trying to convey that it seems that way to me in general. I just cannot see how we can say it is good for our economy when we allow something to be made in China. Someone here in the USA could have that job. Is it helping our unemployment rate go down? And if you are unemployed, you cannot buy a hammock. Maybe I cannot understand because I only have a high school education.

Soon things won't be made in China, don't worry. I represent a clothing manufacturer and they can no longer build cotton clothing in China because it isn't as profitable as say Pakistan. Between outsourcing our manufacturing and our disgusting consumption of oil, we are witnessing the greatest transfer of wealth in human history(Legally/Non War).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Let's keep this conversation about Brandon's thoughtful announcement, rather than 'global business practices' please. That's a bit beyond the scope of this forum.

Also, please bear in mind that this forum is open and welcoming to hammock-curious members anywhere in the world...not just in the U.S.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Reading this thread, I was kind of torn. Decent points on either side. Then I saw that the price went down (26%) WOW and my mind was made. A true show of integrity. GREED is a trait Brandon does not seem to have much of.
    Thank you, Brandon for your honesty and integrity. I hope this business move works out and you can get back to some of the things you must miss out on to provide us with all the wonderful gear. The MJ(i) is now on my Christmas list.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just want it clear I was not directing the word greed toward Brandon. I am sorry Brandon if it seemed that way. I hope you accept my explaination and apology. I sometimes open my mouth and stick my foot in it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old River Rat View Post
    I am going to apologize for using the word GREED. I was not thinking of WB when I used that term. I was just trying to convey that it seems that way to me in general. I just cannot see how we can say it is good for our economy when we allow something to be made in China. Someone here in the USA could have that job. Is it helping our unemployment rate go down? And if you are unemployed, you cannot buy a hammock. Maybe I cannot understand because I only have a high school education.
    i understand sure, but it's definately not black and white, there are strong arguments on both sides.

i'd say most companies who produce goods overseas price their items accordingly, and mainly do it to compete price-wise with their competition, i doubt profit margins go up, especially when you factor in the wholesale price the retailer gets.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Let's keep this conversation about Brandon's thoughtful announcement, rather than 'global business practices' please. That's a bit beyond the scope of this forum.

Also, please bear in mind that this forum is open and welcoming to hammock-curious members anywhere in the world...not just in the U.S.
    No offence and I'm new here but I find it funny how people on HF can't discuss things openly and without malice without being to to be quiet. If it's not about a piece of string or some nylon with rope on it it's out of bounds.

Can't intelligent people discuss even hammock related issues?

Brandon makes an anouncement and people have thoughts on the matter .. do the moderators expect everyone to just bite their tongues and only nod in approval or the apple cart is somehow upset?
    Last edited by Danalex; 12-01-2010 at 22:08.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KayakCarl View Post
    What will happen to the people that do your sewing now?

if we move i'll have to make a change of some kind regardless. i cannot keep things the way they are, i'm growing out of that method of production

i'm currently keeping them busy though, and actually employ more than i did 3 months ago when i had the import stuff made.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Danalex - We limit our discussions to avoid becoming like every other forum out there. Full of trash talking loud mouths who never learned common courtesy.

AS is simply trying to keep things on track. He and the other mods have done an excellent job of it so far.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Brandon, you (and your sewers) make fine products. I think you should be applauded for your honesty and integrity in your approach to this touchy subject of outsourcing.

AFAIC If the quality control on new products made in China is maintained,
    and if you are confident the conditions in the shop are half decent (wrt health and safety),
    and the folks who make them are being paid a competitive wage for that country,
    then I'm certainly going to continue to buy products from you and I'll be happy to send some of my money to another country.

In fact, I already did so. I was happy to send my money south of the border to the U.S. to buy a quality product that I felt was better than those available here.

To those who are concerned about "sending money and jobs overseas, etc.," my sending that money didn't make my country weaker. I'm not an economist, but i know enough to say that the fact that I have the disposable income to send that money across the border in the first place shows that my country has products and services that are valuable to others in the world. (This is reflected in the value of our currency, presently pretty high. The U.S. dollar is also a strong currency and barring an asteroid strike will remain strong for decades to come.)

Anyway, I guess it's kind of a case of HYOK (hike your own hike) but in this case it's SYOM (spend your own money), where you will. I for one will look for the best products and buy them, no matter their source, if I'm reasonably certain they were made under half-decent conditions, not breaking any laws, for example...

*jumps off soapbox*

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast