Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    IF you were to go offshore production, are certain models of tarps or hammocks easier to make offshore as opposed to others? How come you chose the 1.1 Dbl hammock for the trial, any reason? Not trying to be nosy, just curious.

I think in regards to quality control issues, I think if quality materials are used, along with quality workmanship, I don't mind where it comes from.
    But that is just my opinion, as living in Australia, most of our stuff is imported.

I also think that this thread speaks very highly of Brandon's business ethics. That enough is another reason I want to buy a BB from him.

P.S. If I were to order a 1.1 Dbl, could I request it was an American Made one? I know I've kind of contradicted myself by just saying this.
    Last edited by JCK; 12-01-2010 at 23:39. Reason: read the OP wrong

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you're keeping score, as long as I have a choice I'll go with made in America every time. And I don't mind paying more for the privilege.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Brandon, I want to thank you earnestly for your honesty and integrity in bringing this up. I'm sure you knew when you posted it that you'd take some heat; but you took the high-ground anyway and did the right thing by letting us know in advance. Bravo!!!

I'm the proud owner of a Blackbird and a Yeti and I know that when its time to replace or supplement them, I will again be looking to Warbonnet to fill those needs -- whether made in the US of A or overseas (but it is nice to know in advance where it is made).

As a business owner myself, you should be very proud of having turned your personal passion into a successful business. Growth and development of that business is nothing to be ashamed of even though it often includes making difficult decisions. You have an obligation to yourself and your family to make those decisions in the best way that you know how to.

Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing this information.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Can I suggest an alternative to the China Syndrome, Brandon? Here's a link to a story we did in Rural Missouri magazine. If you scroll to the bottom there's a sidebar on a project where church groups are collecting sewing machines in the US, having them repaired and then shipped to Guatemala where they are used by victims of domestic violence who have formed a sewing co-op. Since this story ran I've been wondering what they could make that would have a good market. Maybe they would be an answer to your need to expand?

http://ruralmissouri.coop/10pages/10NovPET.html

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Wasn't going to post on this one (I read more than I share most times)...

But I couldnt help it.

First up, thanks to Brandon for being open and honest, and sharing the info with what must surely be his harshest critics (and greatest admirers also)

Secondly, I try to by local wherever possible. First my town, then my state etc.
    But being in the black hole that is Perth, Western Australia, quality hammock manufacturers are a mite thin on the ground round here. The majority of my camping kit comes from outside Australia, mostly because even the local stuff is imported, so I shop around.

Thirdly, my financial situation dictates I make do till I have enough funds for a Warbonnet, so if I can get a cheaper unit of the same quality, fully sanctioned by Mr Warbonnet, then I'm all for it.

Thankyou, you may now resume your lives
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

New location.

Brandon,
    Come to Wild, Wonderful West Virginia.
    PM sent.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Danalex - We limit our discussions to avoid becoming like every other forum out there. Full of trash talking loud mouths who never learned common courtesy.

AS is simply trying to keep things on track. He and the other mods have done an excellent job of it so far.
    Roger that!

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    all i know is that i want to trade my double 1.1 gray for double 1.1 black. anyone interested?

Beat me to it. I was going to ask if the black BB I recently ordered is US made.
    Oh, & sorry Swoosh, but not giving mine up.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    [soapbox]

There is competition in the hammock industry. That is good for the customers but puts pressure on the manufacturers.

To stay competitive on pricing and to avoid losing orders due to long lead times, WB is looking for cheaper and more plentiful labor, understandable. Sewing is kind of a lost skill.

Since this community probably has a high percentage of "buy US first" members, being upfront about the outsourcing is an excellent decision.

Makes me sad because WB isn't producing a commodity, he has a significant design advantage over the competition which should have allowed him have higher prices and longer lead times. Maybe we talk a good game but still buy the lowest price goods.

Globalization, big box stores like Home Depot/Walmart/Best Buy, and multi-national corporations do not raise the standard of living for everyone. They equalize the standard of living across the world. So high standard of living nation like the US have downward pressure on wages.

When we purchase items manufactured overseas we are raising their standard of living but ultimately lowering our own.

If you identify yourself as a citizen of the World this is a good thing.

If you identify yourself as a US citizen, not so good.

[/soapbox]
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Well I read the whole thread and just couldn't help putting my .01c in.

First, Thanks Brandon for being up front with the manufacturing changes. It takes a lot of stuff to do that.

It has been said thoroughly here that some would like the option to BUY USA, and are willing to pay a premium for it. I would.

Your current local sewing operations, if you continue to live in the US, will always be closer than the offshore ones, and there will be more control from you available.

Offshore, the design will vary from yours, in time, as they find an easier way to do it, and copies will be made.

There are many US options for quality sewing available but they may not be as easily located.

It is obvious that the offshore products will be sewn with precision, it has been demonstrated with many other products, BUT are the materials used and available to them the same as you are currently using or possibly better?
    Sometimes a reduction in fabric weight is due to material used or coatings.
    Until testing has been done it cannot be considered an equal product.

Dealing offshore, you are working with a different culture and it does not always match your expectations.

PM me if you want to know more.

Sorry for the ramble TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast