WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I guess the proof is in the puddin' so to speak. We'll have to see how the imported gear holds up, how it's backed up, and how it prices out. Could be really good for Brandon... Could be a black eye...

I don't want to buy my hammock gear from Wal-Mart or Amazon.com... I want to buy a quality piece of gear one time.

One of the great things about this little HF.net community is the cottage businesses that have blossomed from the demand for gear. The quality and workmanship I've seen in my Warbonnet gear and gear from the other cottages is cannot be matched by high-volume manufacturers. The gear the cottages products harken back to my grandpa's time, when things were hand made with pride and were definitely NOT disposable.

I know Adam and Jen are themselves working on two quilts for me. I've heard before that Warbonnet was a one man shop, but in communications with Brandon, he has referred to sending gear to and receiving gear from his "sewers," so there has been some outsourcing of work already. I know my BMJ was made by his "sewers" and it is a first class piece of gear.

That said, I'd still want the option to buy "MADE IN THE USA" Warbonnet gear. If I can't get that, I'd probably look to another "MADE IN THE USA" cottage shop for my gear first (I know, I cant get a BB anywhere else, but I expect mine to last FOREVER).

We live in a global community, and the hammock community is going global, but there is still something special about our current gear manufacturers, their skills, and their quality.

I guess I'm a little bummed about this, too...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Old River Rat View Post
    I am far from an expert Beep. I may be entirely wrong. If I am, sorry. But I would want to ask . . . Where is the expansion? Where is the hiring? What raises for employees where? Where is the production line? I heard once . . . That Barbie doll clothes are made in China. The people who make the clothes can not even afford to purchase a Barbie doll. Like I say. I am not an expert. I am not going to argue. I just have an opinion. Thats all.
    He said he tried One Run over there. I doubt he cranked in a few hundred grand on some tarps.....
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Brandon,
    There comes a time when a business man knows he needs help. couple reasons for this (1) the demand is high which is a great thing, but it's a double edge sword because(2) with the demand you have for your products you might get burnt out trying to keep up. But I caution you on working with the chicoms. I've watched over the years on seeing a great products designed here in the U.S and then the asians get the product and make it cheaper in just about the same design. So be careful on whom you trust with your product design because I would hate to see you lose the ability to still call it yours.I'm sure whom ever was sewing it together there hasn't forgotten how to do it. If a big name company with a lot of money wants to say it's their design who's to say otherwise. Legal fees I'm sure you could not contemplate. If I were You I would check around this country for factories that could work with you. try and find a non-union one their cheaper. Good luck !!!!!

P.S. I still love my home grown Brandon sewn double 1.7 blackbird

Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    What will happen to the people that do your sewing now?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I dug the fact that Warbonnet hammocks were made in the USA, and I dig the fact that MY blackbird was hand-sewn by the man himself.

You know what I'd dig even more?

Seeing Blackbirds on the shelf next to the ENO's and Hennessey's at my local REI. Seeing mainstream customers being exposed to true innovation in hammock manufacturing, without the legal threats and intimidation certain other integrated-bugnet hammock manufacturers have used. If getting hammocks built in China helps Brandon increase the availability of his wares while not sacrificing quality, I say more power to him.

Sometimes I feel like there is a "hipster" vibe in the online backpacking community - that, once a brand becomes too popular, it's no longer cool anymore. It's way too common to see people dumping all over any company that sees "too much" success. Brandon has a brilliantly designed hammock, and I'm happy to see it get into the hands of as many campers as possible.

And as far as the small minority of people making absurd accusations like GREED - you really need to hold a real conversation with Brandon sometime. Greed is just about the last word that comes to mind when recalling the times I've interacted with him, both as a customer, and as a fellow camper at the Colorado winter hang.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    prices did come down, look at the website, the mj and edge are $85, they were 115$.

Ok, great. This is how it should be, I figured you would have pointed it out as that's a HUGE benefit to your consumer. Unlike many of the people on here, I do not troll the websites obsessing over the pricing, so I wouldn't have known any different...

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post

That said, I'd still want the option to buy "MADE IN THE USA" Warbonnet gear. If I can't get that, I'd probably look to another "MADE IN THE USA" cottage shop for my gear first (I know, I cant get a BB anywhere else, but I expect mine to last FOREVER).

We live in a global community, and the hammock community is going global, but there is still something special about our current gear manufacturers, their skills, and their quality.

I agree, that's pretty much how I feel as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I guess the proof is in the puddin' so to speak. We'll have to see how the imported gear holds up, how it's backed up, and how it prices out. Could be really good for Brandon... Could be a black eye...

I don't want to buy my hammock gear from Wal-Mart or Amazon.com... I want to buy a quality piece of gear one time.

One of the great things about this little HF.net community is the cottage businesses that have blossomed from the demand for gear. The quality and workmanship I've seen in my Warbonnet gear and gear from the other cottages is cannot be matched by high-volume manufacturers. The gear the cottages products harken back to my grandpa's time, when things were hand made with pride and were definitely NOT disposable.

I know Adam and Jen are themselves working on two quilts for me. I've heard before that Warbonnet was a one man shop, but in communications with Brandon, he has referred to sending gear to and receiving gear from his "sewers," so there has been some outsourcing of work already. I know my BMJ was made by his "sewers" and it is a first class piece of gear.

yes, i've not been a one man shop for awhile. i've been sourcing out the sewing portion of the production process for some time to local sewers. this is my current situation, but we are looking at moving to another city, so i've still gotta decide what i'm gonna do in the long term

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for letting us know. i understand what you are thinking but i dont like it. stay handmade in america.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yes, i've not been a one man shop for awhile. i've been sourcing out the sewing portion of the production process for some time to local sewers. this is my current situation, but we are looking at moving to another city, so i've still gotta decide what i'm gonna do in the long term
    Lots of trees and people out of work here in Oregon....
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast