N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I have worked at many companies who source goods from overseas including China. I understand the economic drive to do so.

On the flip side, I also understand the desire to keep things local - including our dollars.

Now, dollars for donuts, most people I run into are more concerned with the price of things - and I completely understand this mentality and find myself frequenting that path of thinking from time to time - but... when it comes down to it, if you put two products in front of me (one US made and one made elsewhere) of equal quality, I will prefer to purchase the US made product even if it costs me more (within reason, say 33% or so).

My logic is that keeping jobs and dollars in our country is the only way we are going to survive as a nation.

I love your products and have purchased several (I think the count is now 5?) hammocks from you directly or indirectly through family members. We love the quality and the fact that you make them in the US. I'd hate to see that change!

Now... to get off my soapbox...

Thanks much for keeping us in the loop - it is greatly appreciated and speaks volumes about who you are.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Brandon - Have you considered a "made in the USA" option that would allow us to put our money where our mouths are? Basically you charge a premium for an item if someone wants it built in the States. (or maybe the the China version goes for less)

The economics of making things in China are hard to resist if you want to stay in business these days but like XexorZ said...
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Brandon;
    I respect your honesty and understand the difficulty of finding
    good workers to make your products when you have had such large expansion and demand for your product.

But hope you are able to find people here that can fill your future production needs and keep the jobs here. You make products that people realy love and respect and to this point have done it with american labor and I think you can still keep doing that and hope you do.

Don't give up the values that got you this far for larger profit margins (being the reason most folks go off shore). At the end the day life is not just about money.I've just seen to many good skilled men and woman loose work . There standerd of life as more and more things we need have been "outsourced".

So once again I hope you are able in the future to keep the work here and good luck!!

fourdog

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up. If you check most hammmock sellers sites they do not even list where their stuff is made and if you want to know you have to email or call them to find out.

I think Brandon makes great products and I hope to do more business with him in the future regardless of where his stuff is made as long as the quaility remains.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Pretty much Beep said it for me. I really appreciate the transparency. Quality and integrity .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    In this global economy, I am a consumer of Chinese products, and work for a company that exports goods and services to China (and the rest of the world)...

I see no reason why you, Brandon, couldn't continue to source quality manufacturing from China. My only concern is FOR your intellectual property. There are numerous examples where products go to China for manufacturing, and somebody (the Chinese shop-owner's brother) goes into business selling the same product, and undercutting the manufacturer. Though this problem has, as I understand it, reduced significantly since the 1990's, it still happens.

You should have the proper protections in place for your intellectual property (aka. design).

Warm regards,

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Pretty much Beep said it for me. I really appreciate the transparency. Quality and integrity .
    Ditto. Best of luck to you Brandon.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Brandon - Have you considered a "made in the USA" option that would allow us to put our money where our mouths are? Basically you charge a premium for an item if someone wants it built in the States. (or maybe the the China version goes for less)

The economics of making things in China are hard to resist if you want to stay in business these days but like XexorZ said...
    +1 on this... I will say the most important thing to me at the end of the day is the quality of the finished product. However, I am always more comfortable supporting companies that make their goods in the USA.

EDIT: forgot to mention - Brandon, I really appreciate your openness on this whole process. You set an example I wish far more companies and manufacturers would follow!

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    ...Have you considered a "made in the USA" option that would allow us to put our money where our mouths are?
    This is a GREAT idea - I'm much more likely to buy WBBB #6 this way =)

Thanks,

George

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    To be honest, I try to buy "made in USA" products as much as I can. I have no problem paying more for such products. It supports American workers. Buying products made out of the USA only supports corporations and big business, IMHO. It is unfortunate that many times you cannot find a product that is American made. So, I have to grin and bear it.

I would hate to see the extinction of American small business. But I am afraid it is on the way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast