Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images

Question about seam tape (?)

I'm futzing around making a hammock for my son, learning the basics, and I have a question about the strip that folds over the ripstop/netting seams and elsewhere (on my WBB). I am familiar with grosgrain and have a bunch of different widths, but this is more like ribbon. I'm sure those of you who build your own have scads of it and know what it's called and where to get it.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I think what you are referring to is Bias tape. Any fabric stores will carry it in several colors and widths. You can also make your own by folding a piece of fabric up, basically making 2 double hems on the piece and just using that, much cheaper.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasyax View Post
    I think what you are referring to is Bias tape. Any fabric stores will carry it in several colors and widths.
    I've never used bias tape, but have been told to be sure to avoid the commonly found variety that has high cotton content. Synthetics are needed for outdoor use.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Very true, most available bias tape will be high or all cotton (roll in the wife's project box is 55% polyester/45% cotton). Another reason to make your own.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Thanks for the tips. I'll grab some up ASAP.
    Jonathan

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I've never used bias tape, but have been told to be sure to avoid the commonly found variety that has high cotton content. Synthetics are needed for outdoor use.
    Very true, most available bias tape will be high or all cotton (roll in the wife's project box is 55% polyester/45% cotton). Another reason to make your own.
    For what it's worth, I've only used the common poly/cotton blend and it's never been a problem. I don't think the whole "never use cotton" thing really applies to this application.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    You can also use twill tape. It's easy to find twill in 100%poly and although it doesn't handle sharp bends as well as bias tape, it takes them much better than grosgrain. Twill tape looks very much like ribbon other than the twill weave on it.

Bias tape is cut on the bias (45 degrees to the edges). Cutting on the bias allows for much better handling of tight curves. Cutting your own is not quite as straightforward as it seems, but there is plenty of info on the web about making bias tape. Good news is you don't need bias tape for most hammocks or any other relatively straight seem, any tape will work.

I guess an exception may be the area of the footbox and shelf on the WBBB. Those are a little tight for grosgrain or flat tape.
    Last edited by nacra533; 12-02-2010 at 22:02.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I think what you are referring to is Bias tape. Any fabric stores will carry it in several colors and widths. You can also make your own by folding a piece of fabric up, basically making 2 double hems on the piece and just using that, much cheaper.
    While you can make edge ribbon this way, it will not be "bias tape". Bias tape is cut on the bias, meaning the threads (grain) run diagonally across the ribbon. It is a very time consuming and waste producing process to make your own. Not something I would do unless I needed an absolutely perfect match to a base fabric.

+1 on twill tape as a good compromise.

There are other options as well if you know what to look for. This time of year you'll find displays of ribbon sprouting up like burdocks in a goat pasture. Avoid them. They look like they could be useful and they are cheap but you need to know what you are looking at. If it is called "decorative ribbon" it is strip cut and used for decorative purposes. It can not be washed or get wet. It is often made of acetate and will become useless shortly after its intended use is complete. It is intended for gifts under the Christmas Tree, Chanukah Bush, or whatever ever other occasion springs up around this time of year.

"Woven ribbon" is the category that all the options discussed here fall into (except bias tape).
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Yes. Thanks for the info. "Sewing 101" for most who had Home Ec class in high school. (I was the last graduating class who had the boy/girl split, so I built a tiny footstool out of Indonesian Mahogany. Yawn.)
    Here's my grosgrain ribbon take from WM last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts