Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner

Noob Question on making an UQ

My first question for the forum is in reference to making a UQ out of a sleeping bag. I watched a video in YouTube and it looked very easy to make and wondering if it will work with my HH Explorer w/zipper?

This video is of the modified bag:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPqo...eature=related

Givin the knowledge and experience in the hammock world here in the forum. I am wanting some input and any thoughts you might have. I have been looking at many videos on YouTube trying to gather some knowledge about an underquilt on the cheap as they say. I ran across this video and wonder if a 40" x 90" top zipper bag modified like the one in video. Would it be acceptable and also practical for use with my HH Explorer as an underquilt? My main concern with this bag would be, Will it fit around my hammock and serve the purpose?

I found one of the bags at Walmart for $35. Here is a review of the bag which describes its features. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl96Wl7uqBQ

I dont plan on being in lower than 30 deg F and have a 40 deg Coleman sleeping bag and also my backup Softie 9 Hawk that I can slip inside the Coleman, even though I cant zip it up do to my shoulder problems and the restriction . But everything I have read, recommends a pad or underquilt. Weigh is not going to be an issue as I will be traveling via motorcycle from Florida to LasVegas and back over a 2 month period.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciate.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey ..... sounds like you are pumped!
    I never did a sleeping bag to UQ .... but here is a good thread on it: Sleeping Bag/UQ
    Hoping that helps a bit.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I'm not sure the pod style would work, but I like the concept. One problem other folks have mentioned running into with the pod style sleeping bag conversions is the length of the sleeping bag not quite covering it. Perhaps of you added some extra fabric length to the foot end, it would work. Or if you open up the foot, like in the video you referenced, with the shock cord to tighten to snug up around the hammock.

You could also opt for the more classic UQ. I made my DIY UQ from the $10 Ozark Walmart bag. In fact, I got two UQs out of one bag (one of which I'm now converting to a goose-down filled version). Here's the video of my project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWP7dmvTszk

It was super simple to do and relatively quick. My best to you! Keep us posted on your progress with this one! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Thank You creativeKayt for your input. I have no idea what I am doing as of yet. I have not even slept in the hammock. But the concept used with the sleeping bag which cost $17 on sale at KMart seemed to be a good way to start out. Since the bag is 40"x 90" I figured it would be long enough since I am 5'11". But your suggestion of adding to the foot if needed is a good suggestion. I like this bag for several reasons, one of which is that it will cover the hammock and has the vents on the sides which will allow for air circulation. Plus the top zipper which should be very easy to use for access to the hammock.

Bottom line, I will try it out in my yard once its done and if it works well, TaDa I have an inexpensive underquilt. If not, I have a spare sleeping bag

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I made one for my buddy and he still uses it. Ugly as sin and not very light, but has kept him warm quite a few nights. I cut the bag to 48x60, then hemmed the edges back up.

I sewed simple channels on the head and foot end for the bungee cord and locks. Then we put it on his Hennessey and cut two holes where the pullouts from the hammock are located, then put in plastic grommets.

Now he just slips it on before he stakes out the sides of the Hennessey and it is very secure.

When he uses it for his top loading hammock, he just uses the bungee on the top and bottom to hang it.

Heres a pic.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    That's a great idea using the pull outs to help secure the UQ! I like it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Thanks eflat7 , this forum is great. I never even had the tie outs figured in. Am sure they would have come to mind once I put the sleeping bag over the hammock. Now I know, so will be prepared as I put this together. I only plan on using this if I am camping in an area that the temp will justify it. But when your two thousand miles from home on a trip. You need to have everything in hand.

• + New Posts