WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    I had pretty low key back surgery in August of this year. Nothing like you need but surgery none the less. I have a Switchback hammock from Tree to Tree Trail Gear so I will explain the lay on it- It seems to like to be hung with a little less slack than most use here. Turns out I like that, as it allows me to side sleep very comfortably. When on my back, the curve isn't so severe nor the struggle to get a flat lie so great that it doesn't wake me much to get comfortable. Added plus is the excellent bug net with zippers running the length of both sides and bars to open up the net space. Is it for backpacking? I don't know as I don't pack but I imagine it is a bit heavy for most. But for me, it the the best thing since the iMac and I love it. BTW, I slept in it the night of my outpatient surgery; just couldn't find anywhere else in the house as comfy. Hope this helps and good luck on the repairs!
    Thanks Millarky! Fellow Mac geek here, LOL! (MBP, iMac, Mac Mini, iMac, Powebook.) I still have a ton of iMac G3's in storage from the office of my first practice. I have been trying to get rid of them. :-)

I am hearing the same thing from a lot of hangers regarding their back issues. Less slack than taut, but by no means just loosely hanging. My Hennessy is most comfortable when the ridgeline has some snap to it but not taut like a guitar string.

I am fighting the urge to just order a WBBB and a JRB Bridge right now!

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Doc not sure if you lay on one side more than the other at times but you can order the BB with the footbox on one side or the other.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No Se-em Mesh
    Tarp
    Outdoor Edge 8x10
    Insulation
    Insultex
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images

Large Hammock

I had back surgery in 2005, herniated disc. I enjoy backpacking and camping very much, but since the surgery, at about 2:00 a.m. I would start tossing and turning with back hurting. This was when I was a ground dweller, used different pads, had the best luck with Big Agnes air core insulated, but had painfull mornings.

Last year I was introduced to the Hammock Bliss no-seeum mesh, it is 60" wide and 10' long, this hammock is really large and has alot of room inside.

I sleep like a baby now, no pressure points, pains, aches, etc.

Best thing I ever did...........

Sgt. Rock has done a review on the hammock on his website.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    I had back surgery three years ago yesterday for a herniated disk at L4-L5.

I tent camped until this year, and had some of the same problems others here have described sleeping in a tent. Getting into hammock camping this year has really helped me enjoy camping much more again. The WBBB is great for my back. I sometimes sleep in it at home instead of in the bed.

I can get really flat in it and -- though I'm a side sleeper in bed -- I usually sleep on my back in the hammock.

Best of luck with your back,
    Chris

Hammock
    Caravan Ultra Lite
    Images
    Work place injury got my back fused L2-L3-L4 together in 2003. In june this year
    I setup a frame in my room and have been sleeping in a caravan ultra-lite.
    As of this post I no longer get pains in my knees or back in the morn.
    Now I'm thinking, perhaps something with a spreader bars

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I had most of my spine fused when I was twelve, scoliosis. (Hence the name, I've got two titanium rods on either side of my spine- just along for the ride now, but they were put in to help the spine fuse) The back doesn't really worry me (except when the from-bones-out weight piles on!) but my hips, knees and ankles take a bit more of a beating because my spine has little spring left!

I love sleeping in my various DIY hammocks. I've never had a manufacturer one, so can't comment there.

Ground sleeping is a real pest! Being able to elevate my legs a little gives them some relief.

titanium_hiker (TH)
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    WOW,

You guys are amazing and encouraging as well! I have completed 1,500 miles of the AT in sections but my backpacking days are over until my next back surgery. I have not been able to do too much that involves my back since 2002. I can still paddle my sea kayak though. My doctor has prohibited me from lifting over 10lbs.

One strange thing has been the varying opinion of doctors. My pain doctor has always advised me to wait as long as I possibly can for a spinal fusion. His reasoning is that technology is progressing so fast that my outcome will be better the longer I can wait. He claims that success rates of spinal fusion are near 50%! Although from the responses from some of our tribe members here, I suspect it is much higher. The thing I hate the most is being tied to a doctor and medicine for monthly appointments. I could buy a complete hammock outfit for someone with any tarp and sleeping bag and stove for what I pay for medicine out of pocket each month! The medicine I have to take also keeps me grounded from piloting general aviation aircraft. I have enjoyed flying for years.

I would much rather offer "Hammock Scholarships" for fellow hammock forum members who have trouble financing their gear! LOL!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123