Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

Buying insulation in stages...

I currently have some good top insulation (all be it heavy) and use foam pad for bottom insulation which (I find) to be a little lacking in the really cold weather (ymmv).

I'm considering buying some good synthetic bottom insulation as my next purchase (in particular, looking at the KAQ New River w/ deep winter upgrade).

My concern here is that I won't be able to use this quilt in the spring / autumn...

So I was thinking, perhaps I can use the winter underquilt in the spring/autumn if I use lighter top insulation...

Has anyone tried this? Does this work or will you sweat to death anyhow?

Thanks much for the input

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For what it may be worth, Alan used a partial winter grade quilt...his has about 8.5 oz to the yard insulation rather than the full winter at 11.5 down to about freezing in T shirt and shorts and said he was sweating. A full on winter quilt will be very warm in all but cold conditions. They can be vented but to what temp that will still be effective is a personal comfort sort of thing so there is no rule of thumb.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    For what its worth I just purchased the standard New River, I used it 2 weeks ago on the Hamburg section of the AT. The night time lows were predicted to be around 29. I didn`t feel like taking the chance of having to fiddle around in the middle of the night so I put one of these http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-4-wide.html in the pad sleeve, I ended up being to warm and had to wake up anyways to take stuff off and vent. To me this was an easy way to supplement and I didn`t have to buy a piece of specialized gear.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Thanks both of you for the replies - I appreciate it.

I think my question revolves more around balance of top vs bottom and the question really is:

If a deep winter underquilt is rated at 0F and I use equally rated top quilt, I should be able to survive 0F (and likely be pretty cozy I would assume).

If I took the same deep winter underquilt out in, lets say 45*F and used a silk sheet for top insulation, would I freeze, sweat, or likely be pretty cozy?

I think what I'm trying to do is make a "3 season" underquilt - but those three seasons are AUTUMN, WINTER, SPRING by changing my top insulation only.

Does this sound plausible? Has anyone any experience with this?

I think the reasoning behind this is that I have a lot of suitable top insulation but no bottom insulation other than foam and would hate to have to buy two underquilts (X2 for the wife)

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for the input!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Easier to cool off than get warm
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Easier to cool off than get warm
    Best answer yet, and I completely agree.

If it's above 65 degrees, I don't use anything under me. If it's below 65, I gotta have something. In my opinion, you have to figure it out for your personal comfort level.

How often do you really camp in below 30degree weather? If it's very rarely, then get a three season, and supplement with a pad in the rare occasion that you need more insulation. If the answer is "I spend a lot of time out in sub zero temps, then get the winter quilt, learn to vent it properly, and know when to use it, and when not to.

I have what I call a spring/fall UQ that is supplemented with my sectioned pad in anything below 45 down to high 20s.

I sleep just fine.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XexorZ View Post
    Thanks both of you for the replies - I appreciate it.

I think my question revolves more around balance of top vs bottom and the question really is:

If a deep winter underquilt is rated at 0F and I use equally rated top quilt, I should be able to survive 0F (and likely be pretty cozy I would assume).

If I took the same deep winter underquilt out in, lets say 45*F and used a silk sheet for top insulation, would I freeze, sweat, or likely be pretty cozy?

I think what I'm trying to do is make a "3 season" underquilt - but those three seasons are AUTUMN, WINTER, SPRING by changing my top insulation only.

Does this sound plausible? Has anyone any experience with this?

I think the reasoning behind this is that I have a lot of suitable top insulation but no bottom insulation other than foam and would hate to have to buy two underquilts (X2 for the wife)

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for the input!
    XexorZ,
    I think what you propose is workable. My winter hammock (insulated) is comfortable year-round with different top quilts, and I don't have the option of loosening the suspension of an underquilt to vent it. However, I sleep cold, and I don't camp in hot climates. YMMV.

• + New Posts