WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Summer Incubator
    Suspension
    SMC GH Spyderline

Hawaii - Big Island

My gf and I will be hammocking our way around the Big Island at the end of April 2011 for 2 weeks. Only looking at 1 hotel stay... the night before we fly out.

Has anyone hung their hammocks in the A-frame public beach shelters that are available for rent?

Any recommendations of good spots (legally) you can pitch a hammock overnight?

Any issues with your rental car getting broken into when left for a few days at a trailhead?

We are at least going to do 3-4 days Muliwai Trail / Waimanu Valley. Still planning out the rest of the trip. But the tickets are bought!

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I can't help, but that trail is on my list. Isn't it the one that leads from Waipio valley? Anyway, I'll be there in January with my BB so I'll post back if I find anything out.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I have made a synthetic underquilt for when I go to Hawaii to visit a community of friends who live on an organic farm there. They warned me about Hawaii's humidity and daily rain showers. I think that you will enjoy it.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 12-04-2010 at 18:48.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_ View Post
    My gf and I will be hammocking our way around the Big Island at the end of April 2011 for 2 weeks. Only looking at 1 hotel stay... the night before we fly out.

Has anyone hung their hammocks in the A-frame public beach shelters that are available for rent?

Any recommendations of good spots (legally) you can pitch a hammock overnight?

Any issues with your rental car getting broken into when left for a few days at a trailhead?

We are at least going to do 3-4 days Muliwai Trail / Waimanu Valley. Still planning out the rest of the trip. But the tickets are bought!
    the Waimanu Valley is great. get a jeep if you can afford it, it will allow you to drive down there. i don't think you can park over night at any of the spots on the east end or west. there is a ranger full time during the day at the east end of the valley at the end of state highway 240 but i think you can park overnight down near the beach/trail head.
    at the west end, parking is tight with spots and when we did show up there was cars there that looked to be there over night. the black beach it awesome but make sure you have water shoes cause the rocks are rough on the feet.
    if you love coffee there is a really nice cafe/gift shop on the west side of the road going through Kapaau (white building)

GO TO HAPUNA BEACH!!!!! north of Kona Int. airport.

Take some head lamps for the lava tubes in the rain forest at the volcanoe park.

if you want a scan for the map of the volcanoe park let me know (PM), i think i still have it.

Hilo was a waste of our time.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I was thinking we had at least one or more HF members living in Hawaii, but I don't see them on the HF Google map.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    geoffrey is on Kauai, Hi

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Summer Incubator
    Suspension
    SMC GH Spyderline
    I found this site, which is a treasure trove of trails.

http://hawaiianforest.com/

It provides some pictures of the camp sites in Waimanu Valley.

Looks like Wai'Ilikahi Falls trip from Waimanu Valley is worth it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    if anybody comes to kauai we can get them hanging in some good spots where no one will bother them.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I'll be coming soon to visit some old friends who live in a commune who want me to move to the island.... I need a place to hang outside of boundaries of their backyard.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Summer Incubator
    Suspension
    SMC GH Spyderline
    My fiancée and I are back from the Big Island. Here are some places to hang...

Pololu Valley is a short steep hike from the trail head to the beach. Up from the beach is a forested area, but no water. Didn't hang there, but wish I would have.

Waimanu from Waipi'o will kick your a$$. But well worth it. It has designated camp sites, we camped at site 9, but site 7 is better suited for hammockers. Water is available from a natural spring and from a river that empties into the sea. There is a little bit of a sea wall to prevent the river from becoming brackish. Plan on sleeping 2 nights in the valley to recover from the hike.

Halape is a very remote beach site that starts from Crater Rim Road in Volcano NP. At the time we were the only ones there and got to experience full body tanning. All of the coconut trees are full. Water is available from the cistern at the emergency shelter. Check with the Park Rangers on how full it is before you leave. There is a brackish pool that is hidden along the coast if you're looking to cool off. There is a bunch of pre-established tent sites, the first one you come too off of the trail is the best one to hang at. I would recommend staying 2 nights minimum.

Waimanu and Halape rains at night and the wind from off the ocean can get a little strong, so pitch your rainfly low. If you tend to get cold at night, bring a pad or a fleece to sleep on top of.

Kulanaokuaiki campsite at Volcano NP, got down to the high 50s... I wish I had brought my underquilt. Hang from the trees on the big central lawn. Make sure to bring some long underwear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast