Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Sleeping while sitting in a hammock to avoid knee extension

I've been backpacking using a hammock for about a year now. I still like it better than a tent, but do have issues with heel pain (residual plantar fascitis) and knee pressure.

Thanks to the suggestions on this forum I've learned how to adjust the hang angle, position myself properly and use cushioning under my knees/heels to alleviate these problems.

The remaining issue is that I do shift my position at night. So I'll go to sleep fine then wake up in 2-3 hours having shifted my legs causing some knee or heel discomfort.

On a recent backpacking trip using an ENO double (nice and wide) I was hanging out in my hammock lounge-chair style and realized "Hey, maybe I could sleep this way..." I tried it the remainder of the morning and was quite comfortable sitting in the hammock with my legs hanging over the side. I had an underquilt on the hammock and was inside my sleeping back while lounging. I had a small thermareset sit pad under my knees at the edge of the hammock.

Has anyone else ever tried sleeping in the lounge-chair position in their hammock, especially in colder weather? It seems like this could work, and could potentially allow for smaller/lighter hammocks and quilts due to the reduced profile size.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Hmmm! Thats an interesting question. I will be interested to see the responses.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I agree, that's a very interesting idea! Something else you might enjoy is putting a foot line on your rig. It's just a string (I used 1.75mm Zing-It) that hangs a few inches below your hammock, that you rest your feet against. I made mine adjustable at first so I could find the most comfortable length, then made it permanent with a bowline on each end. Weighs next to nothing. I find myself using it all the time in the summer, hadn't even thought of it for the winter.

Good idea!
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    I agree, that's a very interesting idea! Something else you might enjoy is putting a foot line on your rig. It's just a string (I used 1.75mm Zing-It) that hangs a few inches below your hammock, that you rest your feet against.
    PF
    I'll give that a try - thanks for the suggestion. I'll also try sleeping all night in the chair position next time I camp out and will report back.

Seems like if this could work then it would allow for a shorter but wider hammock (like the ENO double's width), perhaps with a larger hanging side pocket to rest your feet against or provide more foot insulation. My bag's foot box seemed to work fine for insulation though as it was not compressed over the edge.

It could then allow hanging with a narrower tarp, or perhaps turning the tarp length wise with a steeper hang.

It seems like this would make better use of "vertical space" when hanging and allow for a smaller rig. Just not sure if it would be any more comfortable on an all-night hang. I'd love to hear of anyone else who's tried it.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I tried it one time but felt like the circulation to legs was being cut off
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I tried it one time but felt like the circulation to legs was being cut off
    thus the reason for the foot line or putting a pad under your legs at the edge of the hammock

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I always sleep with my legs pulled up towards me, kinda like the fetal position with my knees pointed at 2 o' clock. I can't stand that overextended feeling in my knees/ankles. In the summer time I could sleep chair style I bet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Hm. I've certainly dozed off in the summer sitting sideways in my big double hammock (same size as an ENO double). I don't dangle my feet but rather sit crosslegged. Ok, I lounge crosslegged.
    I think if I wanted to use an underquilt with that position it would be a short wide one. My 3/4 length one, turned sideways, might do. But then the draw strings would end up on the wrong sides but there's no reason why you could not have drawstrings on all four sides of the UQ.
    -Liz -

Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    I always sleep with my legs pulled up towards me, kinda like the fetal position with my knees pointed at 2 o' clock. I can't stand that overextended feeling in my knees/ankles. In the summer time I could sleep chair style I bet.
    I've often ended up in that same position as well.

Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    Hm. I've certainly dozed off in the summer sitting sideways in my big double hammock (same size as an ENO double). I don't dangle my feet but rather sit crosslegged. Ok, I lounge crosslegged.
    I think if I wanted to use an underquilt with that position it would be a short wide one. My 3/4 length one, turned sideways, might do. But then the draw strings would end up on the wrong sides but there's no reason why you could not have drawstrings on all four sides of the UQ.
    It does seem that if a sitting/lounge position works out then a more compact hammock of some kind could be built to accommodate it better. The different profile could provide advantages in terms of smaller quilt, hammock and tarp sizes. It may be worth some tinkering for those looking to cut weight of their gear if the comfort level works out.

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    DD XL/ exped 1.5x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag+Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The first time I fell asleep in a hammock was in the "leg dangling" position, I might have to try sleeping that way, especially since I can then keep my boots on and get up easily at night.

Dave

• + New Posts