Thread: Getting started

Getting started

As I said in my intro post, I am just getting started with the whole hammock thing as a result of other hammock converts I know. I purchased a HH Hyperlite that I will be getting as a Christmas gift. Normally I wouldn't start out buying something at this relative price range, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

What I a want to do is figure out a good starting point for insulation/sleeping gear. I currently have a couple of different sleeping bags (synthetic, no down), an inflatable sleeping pad, and one of the blue foam pads from wal-mart. With the bottom entry of the HH, I am not sure if what I have are good options.

I know weather conditions, personal preferences, and budget are just some of the things that play into my decision, but I figure I can skip some of the learning curve (and cost) with the collective experience here.

My priority is a reduced weight and bulk system for backpacking. I generally backpack in the fall and spring in MO and AR. Overnight temps are typically in the upper 30's to low 50's but could drop into the 20's. Rain is always a possibility. My goal is to be set up for a multi-day hike of the Buffalo River Trail and return float on the Buffalo River I am planning for the last week of March.

Secondary priority is summer camping with overnight temps in the 70's or 80's with high humidity. Summer is usually car camping so weight, bulk, etc are not as big of a deal.

I am not interested in DIY gear at this point due to lack of skill and time. I am budget conscious but will spend money on a good value.

Online, I have looked at the HH Supershelter and JRB Nest as options for underquilts, but I have never actually seen either. I like the weight and price of the Supershelter but have a hard time believing it's a 4 season system and don't know what a realistic temp rating is. I like the weight, compactness, and temp rating of the Nest. I also like the idea of down but have not used down in an outdoor setting before and am concerned about rain/moisture, particularly as I have read some comments about the minimal coverage of the stock HH tarps. It also seems a little pricey for me right now. What is the general consensus about these two systems? Am I missing another good option?

Inside the hammock, I am not really sure what to do. My first thought is to use one of my sleeping bags or possibly a military poncho liner blanket. Thoughts on this? I am probably not going to buy a down quilt for inside yet.

I'm sure I am hitting a bunch of topics at once that 10 people will have at least 11 different opinions about, but any advice to help me start to wrap my brain around what generally works and what doesn't work so well given what I am trying to do would be appreciated.

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also bought a HH Hyperlite as one of my first hammocks.
    My most comfortable insulation solution is a down underquilt. Pads for me were a real pain, whereas the UQ provided dreamy comfort. Several work for the HH. You can get them with different warmth factors and even split for the bottom entry.
    As for top warmth I just recently went to a top quilt, but made it for a couple of years just fine by unzipping my down sleeping bag and using it as a quilt.
    Welcome to HF.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

• + New Posts