WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I plan on bringing NM Green Chile Stew for the potluck--it will help warm us up!
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Winter camping is a time for real food. Spicy food with a high fat content will help keep you warm.

Have a plan for how you are going to cook if your food freezes into a brick.

You may need to put your Snickers into a inside pocket before eating.

Hot chocolate, fancy coffee and hot cider boost your morale. An insulated mug makes life better.

I am going to have fried Spam and Cheddar cheese on a whole wheat bagel for both breakfasts.

Friday night I am going to have Idahoan mashed potatoes with chicken.

I am going to miss Sevens peach cobbler in the dutch oven.
    Fried Spam is awesome! Even goes good with mac 'n cheese!

Hammock
    JRB BMB @ camp, Brazilian @ home
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    JRB down quilts
    Suspension
    JRB straps
    I'm still interested in coming. I figure I should be able to manage the warmth side of things, especially if we are going to be fairly close to cars. Layers and layers!

However, I have to say I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do for food, I've never done any winter cooking. Not to mention I've never had to consider cooking for just myself since I've always been with a group.

Any pointers? I have camping pans but I don't really have a stove. I could borrow my parents coleman propane one, but it's pretty big.

Man, I hate being a noob

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

potluck

Will bring apples, cored and filled with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon, wrapped in aluminum foil, that can be tossed in the coals near the fire for baking. Easy and good, IMHO.
    Things fall apart, the centre will not hold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TypoPanther View Post
    I'm still interested in coming. I figure I should be able to manage the warmth side of things, especially if we are going to be fairly close to cars. Layers and layers!

However, I have to say I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do for food, I've never done any winter cooking. Not to mention I've never had to consider cooking for just myself since I've always been with a group.

Any pointers? I have camping pans but I don't really have a stove. I could borrow my parents coleman propane one, but it's pretty big.

Man, I hate being a noob
    TypoPanther- I will be using a MSR XGK EX Extreme Condition Stove will bring extra white gas. You are more than welcome to use it.

The easiest food to prep in winter is freeze dried camping meals like they sell at REI.
    Then you only have to worry about keeping your water from freezing.

Still need a ride to the hang? I sent a PM with my cell number give me a ring.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-02-2011 at 16:12.

Images
    Is anyone planning on using a sled or pulk to haul your gear into basecamp?

With the recent snow the Springs received I am guessing the trail(which is the dirt road) from the parking lot to campground (1.5 miles) will have 4-8" of packed powder snow on it.

I would really like to haul extra gear to play with while we are there, grocery store wood in case wood is hard to find, and extra water ~3 gal for the group.

I don't have a pulk and no fund or time to wait on shipping but I do have a 5' steel runner sled. The old trusty Flexible Flyer.
    My plan is to try and rig this sled up in the garage with bag and bungies and do a little pull testing on the road out front.

If that fails I'll head down to Toy-r-us and pickup a PVC kiddy sled. Keeping in mind we will just be walking up/down a road . No trail required to get to base camp.

What do you guys think good idea or not? Other suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-02-2011 at 11:48.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Still a couple of weeks out and the way Colorado weather works, there may not be any snow on the road. I don't plan on bringing a pulk, just results in me bringing way too much stuff. However, there is plenty enough time to go pick up that kiddy sled and build yourself a proper pulk. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. There are a few pretty good plans floating around HF and other sites. Not a real big investment either.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We'll have a fire for cooking if you don't have a stove. Besides...blackened pots have A LOT more personality than shiny new ones. I put my JetBoil pot in the fire...even made a metal lid to keep the ashes out of it. (The normal JB lid is plastic.)

I've been thinking about making pulk. It's supposed to be high 30s in COS this week, and around teens at night...probably 6-8 degrees cooler up there, so we should have some snow left but probably not much unless another storm comes in.

That also means there may be ice on the road, even under the snow...so be careful on the hike in.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Still a couple of weeks out and the way Colorado weather works, there may not be any snow on the road. I don't plan on bringing a pulk, just results in me bringing way too much stuff. However, there is plenty enough time to go pick up that kiddy sled and build yourself a proper pulk. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. There are a few pretty good plans floating around HF and other sites. Not a real big investment either.
    I will probably bring too many toys and toss a sled in the CUV. IF it doesn't workout I'll just leave the extra gear in the car.

The view of Pikes Peak from the center of the lake will be breath taking under a full moon. Kahtoola MICROspikes Ice Cleats and gaiter tossed in the pile.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-02-2011 at 14:25.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

stove

I will have an Optimus Nova stove and extra gas also.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast