Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I just did some googling and it looks like people have had some success with simple fishing - worms and powerbait, at the rampart res inlet area during the winter. I will almost certainly bring the rod and do my first fishing in a decade or so.

At least, my first fishing that didn't involve a charter boat off the New Jersey coast, a case of beer, and a "fishing" experience that involved watching the rod sit in its holder in between bites of cheeseburger.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I may bring some fishing gear as well. We'll already have the fire...

Backup spot may be a good idea.
    - The FS lady gave us permission to use the Thunder Ridge campground, but if we get hassled for some reason we'll move to Meadow Ridge, which you'll pass on the way to Thunder Ridge. Not as ideal, but still at the same area.
    - Rampart Range Road is big, graded, and maintained. If we can't get to the Reservoir, it's not likely we'll be able to drive anywhere else in the area except for plowed blacktop. Since we're not expecting significant snow or low temps, this shouldn't be a problem. Always good to have a backup plan, though...do you know the area well enough to suggest one?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    - Rampart Range Road is big, graded, and maintained. If we can't get to the Reservoir, it's not likely we'll be able to drive anywhere else in the area except for plowed blacktop. Since we're not expecting significant snow or low temps, this shouldn't be a problem. Always good to have a backup plan, though...do you know the area well enough to suggest one?
    All the places I know in the Woodland Park/Pikes Peak area would be even harder to get to. So i have no backup ideas in this area.

I drive a VW cuv it does not break trail very well. My current plan is to drive as close to the planned parking lot and hike in from there.

If you see this vehicle(minus boat and bike rack) along the road you'll know typopanther and myself are on our way to camp.

Last edited by OutandBack; 01-13-2011 at 19:37.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Perhaps one of the mods could update the first post with this summary information?

The plan is to camp this weekend, Friday 1/14 through Saturday 1/16. Since it is a holiday weekend, some folks might stay the extra day until Monday 1/17.

We will be hanging at Thunder Ridge campground at Rampart Reservoir. Just Jeff has provided a map of the area. Parking is at the gate at Rampart Range Road (map), which will be closed. It seems as if that road might be used occasionally by the forest service, and possibly even plowed, so try not to block the gate. From the gate, it is about a 1.5 mile hike to the campground. Tentatively, we will congregate around sites 12 and 13. The bathrooms closest to those sites are closed down, but there are pit toilets about 1/3 of a mile away, at the entrance to Thunder Ridge.

Other random notes:
    - Some of us will be bringing fishing poles and seeing if they are biting
    - Temps look to be fairly mild, especially compared to how they have been recently
    - The spigots are turned off - pack your water in, or plan to melt ice or snow. There MAY be water in streams to filter.

Also, Jeff's summary from earlier in the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Sounds like most folks are comfortable with Rampart Res and no one said it doesn't work for them, so let's make it official.

Fri-Sun, 14-16 Jan 2011
    Rampart Reservoir
    (maps above...I can make more detailed ones if needed)

Pot Luck Dinner on Saturday Night

Expect lows of 0F...we'll check the forecast as it gets closer.

Directions...it's pretty easy to find. Plan on 30 minutes from Woodland Park.
    - Drive to Woodland Park on Hwy 24
    - On the Southeast of Woodland Park, on Hwy 24, you'll see a McDonalds...turn onto Baldwin St (it deadends into 24 at a traffic light).
    - Drive north on Baldwin for about 5 miles, not making any turns. You can just follow the signs from here and ignore the rest of these directions...
    -- You'll pass the school on the right and a few neighborhoods.
    -- After the neighborhoods, this becomes Rampart Range Road.
    -- At one point, you'll come to a "sort-of" Y in the road, where it becomes a dirt road if you go almost-straight, and the paved road curves sharply to the right. STAY ON THE PAVED ROAD. There's a sign here pointing to Rampart Reservoir. You'll start climbing up a pretty steep hill. Look at the house on the right...they have a pretty cool ice garden.
    -- This becomes a dirt road.
    - About 5 miles from McDonald's (I think it's just under 5 miles), you'll see a sign for a right turn towards Rampart Reservoir. Just follow the signs.
    - The road to Rampart Reservoir will be on the left, with a big sign at the intersection. At the intersection, you'll see a small parking area and a big gate across the paved road. Crawl thru the gate and start walking!

If you want a map of the area, go to Google Maps and "Get Directions" from "McDonalds near Woodland Park" to "Rampart Reservoir."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    First post updated.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    I'm out. Unfortunately the Mrs. had other plans for the holiday weekend so my trip has been canceled. It was only a slim chance in the first place I guess. Hope you all have a great time...
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    JRB BMB @ camp, Brazilian @ home
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    JRB down quilts
    Suspension
    JRB straps
    Welp I'm feeling better! Going to head to REI in a bit and figure out what I'm eating along with whatever else I might pick up. See yall this weekend, I can't wait! So much to learn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TypoPanther View Post
    Welp I'm feeling better! Going to head to REI in a bit and figure out what I'm eating along with whatever else I might pick up. See yall this weekend, I can't wait! So much to learn
    Good to hear your feeling better.
    I'll be by your place ~10:15 in the AM tomorrow.

Looks like 4 maybe 5 for Friday nite.

Attendee's
    Mustardman (sat)
    MrsMustardman (sat)
    Just Jeff, Erik and Annette (sat)
    hikinghombre7 (sat)
    food (sat)
    Cannibal (late fri or sat)
    edbeteze (fri)
    OutandBack (fri)
    Kaliram (?)
    TypoPanther (fri)
    Bubbyman (fri)
    JDR4Bama (sat)
    Mallard27 (sat)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Any available
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing
    Any word from those already there?

Images
    I'm back home safe and sound. 3 wonderful days in the Rocky Mtns.
    I'm off uploading the 50+ pictures I took to share in the upcoming trip reports.
    If you want a quick peek at some of my pictures, you can go to my member images:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...mageuser=10336

One shot from our base camp. The other half of the group were over in the trees setting up their camps.
    Left to right: Typopanther, warbonnetguy, Mallard27, JustJeff, Annette, Erik, Kaliram
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-16-2011 at 23:04.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast