Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

1st down hammock

last winter i made 2 insulated hammocks using synthetic. they worked great, but wanting to get a little lighter & more compact, i made one using down.
    you`ll find a few pictures, including a drawing that shows the way i put it together in the homemade gear picture gallery.
    i wasn`t happy with the middle section. i made it wider, but not wide enough.
    it pulled tighter than i expected when i got in the hammock.
    it still allowed mabey 1 & 1/2" loft, but it should have alowed more for the down that was in that section.
    for one thing i didn`t allow enough extra from end to end.
    i used it in the house about a week, but last night the temps were cool enough on a fri night for an outdoor test.
    i was plesantly supprised at how warm it was even w/ the thin spots.
    i used a lightweight down quilt on top & slept in something simular to what i would use on a trip... synthetic socks, base layer top & bottom, pants, wind shirt, & balavacava (head pice).
    when i got tucked in & comfortable, i looked to see what the temp was but the battery had died on my weather instrument (brunton), & i didn`t bother to get up to find another thermometer. it was probaby low to mid 40s.
    about 1:00 am i woke-up to a RIPPPP near my head. it ripped a little more & i carefuly got up to inspect.
    the hammock body it`s-self had ripped were the large center section of the down shell was sewed across the hammock.
    now this made me start to really question wether or not i wanted to be trusting that stiching in the hammock body or not... especialy for a hammock i`m going to be counting on for really cold weather. but, i guess the real problem came from the center section being tight enough that eventualy it began to pull on the stiching. but i know rick & jeff have not run into this problem.
    still going to be giving this some thought. ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 11-18-2006 at 13:14.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BTW... i used 3oz of 900 down in each section. total of 9 ozs. the hammock w/o straps weighs 1 lb & 14 ozs.
    and i was still warm as could be when i awoke to the RIPPP & the "dropping a few inches at a time" sensation.
    i`d liked to have ignored it & went back to sleep, but quickly decided i`d better be thankful that it wasn`t a complete drop to the ground (or on the 2x4 of the hammock stand) & got myself up.
    also i normaly use an exped DAM, but tested w/o it last night. ...tim

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What material did you use? Was there a lot of back-stitching at the area where the rip started?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    What material did you use? Was there a lot of back-stitching at the area where the rip started?
    the fabric came from the $1.00 bin. it`s not rip stop, but is heaver than most i`ve used.
    not sure if it`s nylon or poly, but it has a nice, almost parachute like feel... just heaver.

i loaned my hammockcamping book to someone so i`m glad you posted that formula for finding the weight per sq yard here.
    i re-checked & going by that formula on another peice of the same fabric, it came to 2.46 ozs per sq yd.

the fabric seems plenty strong, but who knows.

no back stiching were it tore... just one straight zig-zag line across.

before the rip, i had already decided to make another down hammock w/ a change in the baffles. i`ll transfer the down from the old to the new. ...tim

• + New Posts