Mega-newbie here looking for advice. Am doing a 2008 AT thru, and I'm trying to pick out my shelter/sleep system. I bought a Hennessy Expedition hammock and a 20 deg syn bag two years ago and have used them since. This is the only hammock I have ever used, nearly the only one I've ever seen.

However, the Hennessy has to go -- after much trying the underneath-entrance thing is still not comfortable for me. I'd also prefer something where I can leave the bug netting off in non-buggy weather.

The only real outfitter near me has almost no hammocks, and it is unlikely.I will be able to get to a Ruck or any other gathering. I will get a shakedown in February, but I'm going to have only a few weeks after that before I actually hit the trail. Hence, I'm pretty much obligated to pick out my gear online and go with it.

I’ve basically got my choices narrowed down to two:

A) ENO singlenest with A JRB nest/no sniveler combo
B) Speer with Speer underquilt and top blanket

Any thoughts from people who have experience are appreciated. I’d especially like to know how good either of these setups is for spring AT weather. I would like, as much as possible to avoid sleeping fully-dressed. If I’m wearing naught but my skivvies, is a quilt system going to keep me warm?

And while I’m here -- What's the deal with sleeping pads? If the underquilt is warm enough, why would I want/need a pad? I’ve never used one in my HH.