Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    what i'm trying to say, if you're using at least a few feet, and it is initially stretched quite tight, it will recoil some, taking up at least some of the sag in the tarp. if you are using tensioners, it matters little what line you use, the no stretch would even work better.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-09-2007 at 23:49.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    well, if you set your guylines under tension by pulling them really tight, it will act just like a tensioner, and recoil some (not as much as a rubber tubing, but it will recoil), taking up at least some of the slack added by the sagging tarp. this only works because the mason line is so stretchy, and works better with longer sections of line. highly tensioned nylon will remain tight when slack is added (by a sagging tarp for instance), provided the amount of slack added isn't more than the amount of stretch in the line, which is why it won't work well with really short lengths of line.

4' of the stuff has at least a couple inches worth of stretch in it. that will give alot better results than you would get with spectra. i'm not saying it will eliminate the need for tensioners altogether, just make them less necessary like they are with no stretch lines.
    I don't know what to say... that hasn't been my experience with nylon guyline. I understand that by putting tension on the tarp and guylines when you initially pitch it you have pre-stretched the tarp such that it will not stretch as far from that point. But that doesn't have anything to do with the guyline selection, that has to do with how you initially pitch the tarp.

You aren't comparing a loosely pitched tarp with sprectra guyline to a tightly pitched tarp with nylon guyline are you?
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    It still matters what type of guyline you use when you use line tensioners. If you use low stretch guylines you don't have to compensate for them. It you use guylines that stretch with the tarp, the tensioners have more stretch to take up, or compensate for.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    i've experienced tarps that were pulled really tight like described, only getting a little loose even after getting wet from rain, seems like the problem is worse when static guyline is used.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    It still matters what type of guyline you use when you use line tensioners. If you use low stretch guylines you don't have to compensate for them. It you use guylines that stretch with the tarp, the tensioners have more stretch to take up, or compensate for.
    definately, that's why i said it's probably better to just use spectra if you go with tensioners

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12