Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Line? PLEASE HELP!

Alright, My last couple threads were pretty confusing, my apologies.

anyway, I was wondering what line is best used for the different needs of a hammock setup:

whipping the hammock ends
    tieouts on the tarp/ hammock (pseudo HH clone)
    suspension/ ridgeline for hammock/ tarp
    shock cord for tieouts (tarp tensioners)

I read somewhere that you could use the spectra line for the whipping, but I was also considering the drawcord (for my quilts and weather shields).

For the tieouts I was considering speer no tangle and some shockcord from OWF or other outdoors place. For the Spectra, I am deciding between Amsteel or spyderline.

SO what should I get for my line, and how much of it? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    Alright, My last couple threads were pretty confusing, my apologies.

anyway, I was wondering what line is best used for the different needs of a hammock setup:

whipping the hammock ends
    tieouts on the tarp/ hammock (pseudo HH clone)
    suspension/ ridgeline for hammock/ tarp
    shock cord for tieouts (tarp tensioners)

I read somewhere that you could use the spectra line for the whipping, but I was also considering the drawcord (for my quilts and weather shields).

For the tieouts I was considering speer no tangle and some shockcord from OWF or other outdoors place. For the Spectra, I am deciding between Amsteel or spyderline.

SO what should I get for my line, and how much of it? Thanks!
    for whipping the hammock i use a very small accessory cord from the climbing section (2mm or less).
    the line from speer hammocks would be just fine too. that's what i use on my tarps & for draw strings... very light & plenty strong.

the shock cord is what i use for my tarp tensioners.
    youngblood recently added an explanation on <http://[email protected]> on how to do that.
    it's found under files/"youngblood's miscellaneous stuff" along w/ lots of other good stuff...
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammoc...oungblood%27s/
    Last edited by slowhike; 12-09-2007 at 16:20.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    i like vectran or spectra single braid for the suspension, 3mm maybe slightly less.

for a ridgeline, use the smallest no stretch line you can find (small diameter single braid spectra), although many just use line from the tarp to the tree, and use tha actual seam of the tarp as it's own built in ridgeline.

guylines: #18 braided nylon mason's line, since it's nylon, it has built in stretch, making tarp tensioners less necessary, if tarp tensioners are used, you could go with spectra line

mason's line is good for draw cords too, get it at home depot for dirt cheap

what diameter is masons line? I like the spear no tangle, but for $25, I would like to go with something cheaper, unless anyone has spare no tangle line.
    Last edited by skar578; 12-09-2007 at 21:50.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    what siameter is masons line?I like the spean no tangle, but for $25, I would like oto go with something cheaper, unless anyone has spare no tangle line.
    it says #18 braided nylon on the package, there are different kinds, twisted, unknown material, you don't want those. their all about the same size though, about 1-2mm, about the same as the speer stuff., costs 10$ for 500' 250' spools may be available too. stringliner and marshaltown are the best brands, you can get stringliner in dark green, most brands have a neon yellow or pink option too.

it is more prone to tangling though, so just wrap long sections around a stake or stick

ok. so the mason line is good for the tie outs, what about the structure? Amsteel or spyderline?

Images
    i use uncovered 3 mm vectran, the 2.7mm amsteel would be a little lighter and perform the same. i am partial to the uncovered lines and their soft feel, which i think makes for better knotability.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    guylines: #18 braided nylon mason's line, since it's nylon, it has built in stretch, making tarp tensioners less necessary, if tarp tensioners are used, you could go with spectra line
    Brandon,

I believe you need to rethink the nylon mason's line and tarp guylines application. Nylon mason's line stretches the same as a silnylon tarp stretches and will add to the stretching and sagging of the tarp. Tarp tensioners or shock cord start out stretched and have elasticity that compensates for the stretch of silynylon tarps.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    well, if you set your guylines under tension by pulling them really tight, it will act just like a tensioner, and recoil some (not as much as a rubber tubing, but it will recoil), taking up at least some of the slack added by the sagging tarp. this only works because the mason line is so stretchy, and works better with longer sections of line. highly tensioned nylon will remain tight when slack is added (by a sagging tarp for instance), provided the amount of slack added isn't more than the amount of stretch in the line, which is why it won't work well with really short lengths of line.

4' of the stuff has at least a couple inches worth of stretch in it. that will give alot better results than you would get with spectra. i'm not saying it will eliminate the need for tensioners altogether, just make them less necessary like they are with no stretch lines.

but with nylon mason line, when the nylon tarp stretches, the nylon line will too, right?

I would be adding shock cord anyway. but to clarify.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast