Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Freeze testing tonight!

Its predicted to dip down to 19F tonight and I've got my hammock setup near the house to do some low temp testing.

I have an extended blue foam pad topped with a full length piece of reflectix

I plan on wearing some wool Ininiji toe socks under some super heavy duty Darn Tough socks. I'll have on some synthetic Columbia long john bottoms an Ibex woolie base layer top under a long sleeve synthetic cheap base layer type shirt under a patagonia synchilla layer under a fleece jacket.
    Beanine, and possum down gloves along will round out the outfit which I'll wear inside a cheap 30 degree Target sleeping bag along with a down throw blanket and a Zippo hand warmer between my legs.

Its going to be interesting to see if I last an hour.
    Its also quite breezy out there.

I'll be playing around all week seeing what I can learn and how much I can take while the cold front sticks around.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Good luck tonight! I was thinking of doing the same thing. I had the tarp up and the wind was terrible around here. I took it down and gave up. Let us know how it ends.....

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Good luck and stay warm! I hope to hang out tomorrow - 15 degrees right now.

Images

RE

Well with my current setup I lasted about 45 min. at which point I was ready to call it quits and when the wind suddenly picked up that was all the excuse I needed.
    For the record it's 29F out there with a windchill of 20F

My center mass was quite cozy and the reflectix really improves the comfort of the blue foam pad but I couldn't figure out why my toes were almost immediately cold with all the wool I had on over them. I finally realized about the time the wind picked up that I was positioned so that I had a lot of slack pad above my head and it didn't extend down under my feet at all.
    I also didn't have the down throw over my feet as wrapping it over my feet meant the top edge would be down at mid chest level which wasn't comfortable. The sleeping bag enough just isn't enough insulation. Looks like I need some booties or better yet, a decent top quilt.
    The hand warmer between my legs made a huge difference, unfortunately I like to sleep with my knees bent and my legs spread so I need a different spot to put it.
    I absolutely need a balaclava as well. My face is still ice cold even with two beanies on and the collar of my jacket popped up.

Tomorrow I may try wrapping a space blanket over what I tried tonight just to see what happens.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Its predicted to dip down to 19F tonight and I've got my hammock setup near the house to do some low temp testing.

I plan on wearing some wool Ininiji toe socks under some super heavy duty Darn Tough socks. I'll have on some synthetic Columbia long john bottoms an Ibex woolie base layer top under a long sleeve synthetic cheap base layer type shirt under a patagonia synchilla layer under a fleece jacket.
    Beanine, and possum down gloves along will round out the outfit which I'll wear inside a cheap 30 degree Target sleeping bag along with a down throw blanket and a Zippo hand warmer between my legs.

I'll be playing around all week seeing what I can learn and how much I can take while the cold front sticks around.
    Hopefully your reflectix is wide enough to cover the sides of your bag as well. Most hammocks compress the sides of the bag too...not as severely, but still compress them. Not sure how well it'll work inside the hammock. My HeetSheet didn't work well at all inside the hammock, but once placed on the outside (as demonstrated in my photos) it worked great. Like night and day.

That's why I use a 2P Adventure Medical HeetSheet, tied to the outside of the hammock. It serves 2 main purposes, reflects the heat and blocks the wind and cold before it passes thru the hammock's body.

If needed, I place a windshield reflector between the HeetSheet and the hammock's body when it gets really cold and I feel a little chilled or a cold spot.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Images

re

Just got back from 2 hours of night 2.

I moved locations to behind some bushes to create a wind block but the wind has died down to virtually nothing out there anyway. Its a significant difference to say the least without the wind as my fingers felt ready to fall off when I moved sites earlier in the wind today.

In addition I put on a heavy winter coat with a hood over what I had on last night but forgot the down throw.

For the first hour I was able to play the new level of Angry Birds without gloves on and without my hands being cold at all. Very slowly however my toes got cold again so after about an hour pulled out a space blanket I had taped up to have a foot box at one end and I pulled it on over the outside of my sleeping bag.

This helped some but not enough. I could feel it warm up quite a bit in the sleeping bag but it didn't do a whole lot to my feet. I tried putting my hand warmer in between my feet but it doesn't really work very well for that.

At about the two hour mark I felt like I needed to take my coat off as I was almost too warm up top but my feet were continuing to freeze.
    At that point it was 27F with no wind.

I'm starting to wonder of my stacked socks are cutting off circulation and contributing to my cold feet. I'll have to try the same combination inside tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm also curious to try sliding on the space blanket and then my sleeping bag. I was having a hard time keeping the sides of the SB tucked in. Every time I moved I'd Look down and it was gaping open around me. It wouldn't be able to do that inside a sleeping bag.

I suspect if I had the down throw I would have been alright without the space blanket and possibly without the extra coat on. I can also say I'll never be without a space blanket in colder weather again. The heat boost to weight ratio is pretty impressive.

Tomorrow we'll see if I can get my feet worked out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll tell .... you it may not seem natural but less socks ...loose.... will work better. Try one pair of loose fitting wool socks.
    Continue on ..... I love this stuff. Good for you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Yep,
    I'll second that less socks thingee. It is important remember that in order to keep your feet warm in colder temps that you do not restrict the blood flow across the top of your feet. Too many times people don't know this and they wear extra socks in the boots or when sleeping in a sleeping bag and constrict the blood flow. If 'n a person is going to increase the layers they may want to buy larger boots or a pair of looser fitting socks on the outside.

Good show mate!
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 12-10-2010 at 19:43.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post

It might be Spring before you finish putting on all of those layers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One pair of socks and maybe a down booties if you have? Maybe Merino wool socks would work better. Also do you have some layers under your feet. Just enough to protect. Keep trying, I love this stuff!
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast