Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

17 ounces after cat cut on Sportsman 9x9

I cut my 9x9 just like NCPatrick, then I drew a parabola from there and up making the curve 11 inches or so from the cut which curved around the parabola. The curve terminated at the points or corners left from cutting off the triangles. I used bias tape to edge the cat cut and added loops. When I got done though I felt like I had taken too much off the tarp to give me the coverage I needed.
    It now weighs only 17 ounces and measures 29 inches to the apex, the shortest width from the ridge line. Before I cut it when only the triangles were removed it was 38 inches to the ridgeline. So now in the middle of the tarp I only have 29 inches per side where I need the coverage the most. Now that is perhaps as much coverage as the stock HH tarp offers, but.....
    Well, &^*# happens.
    But to get some perspective on the size of the tarp I got out the stock tarp for the Claytor and layed the Sportsman with the cat cuts on top or the original Claytor. I was amazed! After putting the cutoff sections in place it was easy to see the starting sizes were identical, 9x9 on the Claytor AND the Sportsman tarp.
    I left the Claytor alone. If I ever do cat cut it I will only go up to within maybe 7 or 8 inches BELOW the seams that hold the triangles on.
    The Claytor camo is so pretty, I am glad I am back to it.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    What did you search for that under? what did you pay?

I use the 9x9, I just hate the weight!

somebody posted a link to it the other day. it was here: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Woodland-Mar...QQcmdZViewItem

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I cut my 9x9 just like NCPatrick, then I drew a parabola from there and up making the curve 11 inches or so from the cut which curved around the parabola. The curve terminated at the points or corners left from cutting off the triangles. I used bias tape to edge the cat cut and added loops. When I got done though I felt like I had taken too much off the tarp to give me the coverage I needed.
    It now weighs only 17 ounces and measures 29 inches to the apex, the shortest width from the ridge line. Before I cut it when only the triangles were removed it was 38 inches to the ridgeline. So now in the middle of the tarp I only have 29 inches per side where I need the coverage the most. Now that is perhaps as much coverage as the stock HH tarp offers, but.....
    Well, &^*# happens. Mule
    Whew, I'm glad you did this before I did. Sorry it didn't work out for you though. I was worried about cutting too much out of this tarp, and was going to take my time deciding whether to try the cat cuts or not.

I'm thinking this is would be a summer tarp unless you have a hammock sock or something to protect from side winds, or use triangles to block for you, or hang it pretty low, or something...

Seems you'd have a lot more room for cat cuts with the 12x12. Waiting for Doctari to give us the scoop. Of course, they don't sell 12x12's anymore at Sportsman's Guide (in camo), so we'll have to find another source, or hit SG with tons of requests...

Claytor's stock camo tarp is 9x9? Hmmm.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Whew, I'm glad you did this before I did. Sorry it didn't work out for you though. I was worried about cutting too much out of this tarp, and was going to take my time deciding whether to try the cat cuts or not.

I'm thinking this is would be a summer tarp unless you have a hammock sock or something to protect from side winds, or use triangles to block for you, or hang it pretty low, or something...

Seems you'd have a lot more room for cat cuts with the 12x12. Waiting for Doctari to give us the scoop. Of course, they don't sell 12x12's anymore at Sportsman's Guide (in camo), so we'll have to find another source, or hit SG with tons of requests...

Claytor's stock camo tarp is 9x9? Hmmm.
    If you are talking about the stock Claytor jungle hammock tarp, it is NOT 9x9. The Claytor is diamond cut,the two sides are shoter than the ridgeline, not square cut like the Sportsman Guide.

i think the stock HH has enough coverage but i hate that it is impossible to keep from flapping. sound slike you may have fixed that part

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    If you are talking about the stock Claytor jungle hammock tarp, it is NOT 9x9. The Claytor is diamond cut,the two sides are shoter than the ridgeline, not square cut like the Sportsman Guide.
    I'll defer to your expertise with it, I have not seen it in person yet. I was referring to skskinner (Mule's) comment:

But to get some perspective on the size of the tarp I got out the stock tarp for the Claytor and layed the Sportsman with the cat cuts on top or the original Claytor. I was amazed! After putting the cutoff sections in place it was easy to see the starting sizes were identical, 9x9 on the Claytor AND the Sportsman tarp.
    Are there side seams on the Claytor tarp too? Where are the seams located on that one?

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'll defer to your expertise with it, I have not seen it in person yet. I was referring to skskinner (Mule's) comment:

Are there side seams on the Claytor tarp too? Where are the seams located on that one?
    Patrick, there are no seams on the side of the Claytor. it is 13 ft. long and 10 ft. wide. I didn't want you to order one thinking it was the same as the Sportsman Guide. So, whats the deal, does the modified Sportsman cut staight across at the seam provide enough coverage for the Claytor hammock? If so I'm cutting mine tonight. Did you heat seal the edge after you cut it? -- John
    Last edited by smithobx; 12-11-2007 at 10:45.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Patrick, there are no seams on the side of the Claytor. it is 13 ft. long and 10 ft. wide. I didn't want you to order one thinking it was the same as the Sportsman Guide. So, whats the deal, does the modified Sportsman cut staight across at the seam provide enough coverage for the Claytor hammock? If so I'm cutting mine tonight. Did you heat seal the edge after you cut it? -- John

Ok thanks.

I won't be able to tell you whether the mod will still provide enough coverage for a Claytor hammock. I don't have a Claytor handy to try out for you. Maybe someone else can say... you could hang it up and eyeball it... but that might not be scientific enough for you.

I didn't heat seal the edge since the seam was still intact and strong after the cut. I cut close to the seam, but left the seam on the tarp. It helps add some structure in my opinion, especially where the tie-outs get sewn on.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Yes it is a diamond cut but so was my 9x9 from Sportsman' Guide. The only difference I could see was the SG seemed to have a slight cat cut already in all four sides; maybe 2 inches in it's chord, or so.
    And on my Claytor THERE ARE SEAMS, just like the SG 9x9.
    Oh, by the way, both the SG and the Claytor have the exact same length ridge lines. 13 feet.
    Last edited by Mule; 12-11-2007 at 11:06. Reason: add note
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Yes it is a diamond cut but so was my 9x9 from Sportsman' Guide. The only difference I could see was the SG seemed to have a slight cat cut already in all four sides; maybe 2 inches in it's chord, or so.
    And on my Claytor THERE ARE SEAMS, just like the SG 9x9.
    Oh, by the way, both the SG and the Claytor have the exact same length ridge lines. 13 feet.
    Mule, I just went home and strung up a Claytor and a Sportsman Guide. They are clearly not the same in either length or width and as I said, one is diamond cut and the other is square cut. I do stand corrected on the seam( sorry Patrick I did not recall the seam on the Claytor).I have two Claytor tarps and both are made the same. I sent Tom Claytor an e-mail asking him if he has changed the dimensions of the tarp. Sorry for the poor photo quality, but I ran home from the office to take them. SG is on bottom.--John
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast