WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    The lowest I have yet to accomplish in the hammock is 32º. This weekend on the mountain may break that, but not by much. I am still a hammock noob, and I am not afraid of cold temps. With the gear I have, I bet I could sleep comfortably down to 10º, but where I am this just doesn't happen often enough.

The coldest I have ever camped was 8º while in FDR State Park in GA, but that was in a tent (and I was c-c-c-c-o-l-d-d!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Kwpapke and I did a -26º trip ........fun and brutal at the same time.
    Shug of All His Toes
    Shug, that is just wrong on so many levels, I just can't begin to comprehend it. Good on you. When was that, I didn't see any date with the video?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    in a hammock 7degf.i went out 6 or seven times last winter trying to get below zero.my thermometter never got below 10 i was starting to think it was stuck there.the 7deg came in early spring i was not prepared for it.when i headed out it was 50deg.i had a doubled up fleece blanket and a wool blanket.i filled the pockets of my clark na with stuff sacks full of dry leaves.i also filled a garbage bag full of dry leaves.i had this in reach and put it on my chest when i woke up a little cold.when morn came i was sweaty,and warm.
    i have slept to -20 in a small tent.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    24.8 F last night in my back yard

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Had an unexpected night at about 20 degrees. . . It was March 6th and 7th. I didn't have a thermometer, so I don't know the exact temp. The forecast called for a low of 30. I had my Byer Moskito, with a Thermarest Z-lite pad under me, and a 40 degree mummy bag with a down throw for a bit of extra warmth. I figured the set-up would be just warm enough for the predicted low, but not much lower. My feet did get just a bit chilly early in the morning, but other than that, I did just fine. I was surprised when I got home and found out that the lows actually got down to around 20. I'm about to order some materials for an under-quilt, and I'm looking forward to getting out for some slightly more comfortable below freezing nights this winter.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I just did 10 degrees last night. only second time even sleeping in hammock. suprised how warm i was.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Shug, that is just wrong on so many levels, I just can't begin to comprehend it. Good on you. When was that, I didn't see any date with the video?
    It was January, 2009........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Cold Butt Stephen's Avatar
    Hammock
    SL 1.1 oz DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Frankenpad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I did 9*F on my first hammock trip.

It was a major mistake and the origin of my name. I hadn't found HF and it never occurred to me that my insulation would get compressed (embarrassing, I know). I was in a +15*F synthetic bag with no other insulation of any kind. There were also 25 mile an hour winds and I was under a wally world blue yard tarp

I have never been so cold in my life and we had no fire either. Chocked that one up to experience, though, and it was still the trip that got me into hammocks.

PS: I have a Winter Phoenix (formerly Crowsnest) on the way
    ------------------------------------------------------

CBS (Cold Butt Stephen)

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Low of 14.7 degrees at the AZ hang last year. Stayed toasty warm in my MW4 and down booties, could have gone a lot lower I think.
    im curious tho, since i was on that trip - what the actual temp inside my tarp/house was. i felt a noticable (8-10 degree) difference when i stepped outside my winter tarp.
    when i got out of hammock, it was around 19 out there, but id say 25-29 inside the tarp.
    glad i had that tarp!

one of the toys id like to get is a indoor/outdoor digital thermometer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234