Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Would making a double layer with the 1.1 help with the ripping problem?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i would think a double layer of 1.1 would do fine.
    i think several people have made them that way & i don't remember hearing of a failure.

i suspect a person could do OK w/ a single layer of 1.1 for quite some time, even though it might be pushing the envelope some what.
    i think a big factor would be the support choice.

i believe jeff found that the really small cord from BPL.com was cutting his hammock, but i don't remember what that hammock was made of.

seems to me that webbing would be easier on the hammock as you swing back & forth.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I use a double laryered hammock (patterened after Risk's zHammock) and has about 250-300 mi on it right about now and Is holding fine. AS for cord ripping the fabric, havent seen as issue yet, although I use 4mm Vectran so maybe the stuff JJ was using was smaller.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

hummm - how about the idea of wrapping a small piece of cordura or other semi-thick nylon stuff around the hammock under the knot where the thinner lines might cut the fabric - could still use thin stuff for the hammock body and thin cords without the cutting / ripping problem

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And what about the stock HH rope/hammock connection? More or less problems likely? Any opinions or experiences? I believe Neo had some problems, don't remember if he hit the ground. (We know there have been some hugger problems.)
    I doubt that the stock HH whipping would have the same problem. The stock HH whipping spreads the forces on the fabric a lot more than a simple larks head to the end.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yeah, the cord JJ was using was a bear bag type cord from BPL.com... really small.

and yeah HOI, i was thinking along those same lines.
    if someone wanted to use a small cord for their hammock support, they could find a way of protecting the hammock from it like you said.

Granted I dont know what I am talking about.. but I would be afraid that pre-wrapping the nylon with cordura would slip.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Just checking in after work... Thanks for all the imput. I was using a spectra line with 2300 lbs breaking strength from a sailing shop as the larks head attachment and also for the whipping. Not sure of the exact size but it is no larger than a regular round shoelace. The point that it ripped at was right at the attachment point for the larks head.
    The hammock was a top loading DIY and had a piece of 1" poly strap sewn to the side I get in from. It was the other side that ripped and I can't be sure if it started from the center to the outer edge or vice versa. The rip was exactly from the center of the hammock body to the outside.

I was concerned about the cutting action of using a thin line for doing the larks head and it appears that my fears were well grounded ( no pun intended)

The poly strap may have acted like wrapping the end with courdua and prevented any cutting action. The next hammock ( starting it in 10 mins ) will have straps sewn to both outer edges. The adventure continues.

As a further note: The hammock sock design is progressing and has turned out great. I took some ideas from JJ's post about quilt design and applied them to the design. The sock follows the contours of the hammock perfectly. ( Any 10 foot hammock) I first cut away the excess material from the ends, then cut a dart in the bottom to creat a close fitting bathtub shape. There is a zipper in the side for entrance capability. Was going to wait until I had all the bugs worked out of the design and then post some pics. Can also add matching shape synthetic quilts between the hammock and the sock which can be removed or added to for colder nites.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    Granted I dont know what I am talking about.. but I would be afraid that pre-wrapping the nylon with cordura would slip.
    that's very possible.
    but what GREEN THERAPY said about sewing webbing (or grosgrain, or cordura) along the hemmed edges sounds like a good way of reinforcing against cord wear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12