Thread: PeaPod Planning

PeaPod Planning

I love the idea of the peapod... Has anyone ever tried to make a TQ/UQ/PP??

Here is what I am thinking.... constructing a Modular PeaPod...essentially a TQ and UQ that can be velcro/zipped together to make a PeaPod

I won't be making this anytime soon (probably for next winter)...but am looking for any suggestions, comments, experience....input

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Interesting idea, ---------I bought a peapod last year and really like it. One possible problem is in a peapod, its pretty tight /narrow (thats why it works, no airgap etc) so, when you roll around, sometimes you jab your knee or elbow into the side of the PP (at least I do). If that happens, and you used velcro, I think it might force the velcro apart.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    As you are making your own, it can be custom sized to what you think you might need to fit your size for side sleeping full fetal etc. How much room you have in there varies with your size, the hammock size and whatever extras (TQs etc) you have inside with you.

I can sleep on my side with legs straight or full fetal and have enough room with my Claytor, but not all of my other hammocks. Bet I could with all of them using a PolarPod( http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...Categories.bok )

ideas: How about the worlds 1st dif cut PeaPod? Especially since you are thinking of making a separate TQ and UQ that can be Velcroed together, you could make the bottom Dif cut. Then you wouldn't have to worry so much about pulling it too tight and compressing loft under you. Just adjust it so that it is snug against your back when you get in. You could still hang it looser if you needed to add insulation (quilts, jackets, etc)

How about custom sizing it to your hammock and attaching to the hammock by Velcro? Then having the TQ Velcro to the hammock also and sized so that it drapes right down on top of you with zero gaps?

Just thinking out loud. I suppose all of that Velcro might add a good bit of weight?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Interesting idea, ---------I bought a peapod last year and really like it. One possible problem is in a peapod, its pretty tight /narrow (thats why it works, no airgap etc) so, when you roll around, sometimes you jab your knee or elbow into the side of the PP (at least I do). If that happens, and you used velcro, I think it might force the velcro apart.
    Hey Stevebo, here is a mod I have considered but never done, to be used for when I feel the need for something more like a PolarPod than a PeaPod: One ( or two!) long down filled nylon tube, the same or greater width as the tubes already on the PeaPod. With Velcro sewn on each side to match the Velcro on the PeaPod. Add the tubes when you feel the need for room.

This extra width in the top section should also increase the ability of the top layer to drape down with fewer gaps on wider hammocks.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    There is a bigger wider and longer version of the Pea Pod which is called the Polar Pod.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ Doors
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3/4
    Suspension
    Treehugger Straps
    I have been thinking about this, also. My vision of it is a full UQ that comes up just over the edge of the hammock. The TQ would meet the edges of the UQ (with Velcro or zipper connection) and be wide enough to match the "sag" of the inside of the hammock, thus eliminating the air space. Does this make sense?

The benefit over a pod style would weight savings when you don't need the TQ. You could also make different temp TQs for different temp ranges.
    "That he is mad, 'tis true, 'tis Pithy, and Pithy 'tis, 'tis true..."

As you are making your own, it can be custom sized to what you think you might need to fit your size for side sleeping full fetal etc. How much room you have in there varies with your size, the hammock size and whatever extras (TQs etc) you have inside with you.
    OK...so I need to make it wide enough to move around...I toss and turn in my sleep, so this cannot be ignored.

ideas: How about the worlds 1st dif cut PeaPod? Especially since you are thinking of making a separate TQ and UQ that can be Velcroed together, you could make the bottom Dif cut. Then you wouldn't have to worry so much about pulling it too tight and compressing loft under you. Just adjust it so that it is snug against your back when you get in. You could still hang it looser if you needed to add insulation (quilts, jackets, etc)
    Differential cut....Yes!!....I was planning on this.
    What about dif. cut for the TQ?? Is this not necessary, since the TQ will not be compressed

How about custom sizing it to your hammock and attaching to the hammock by Velcro? Then having the TQ Velcro to the hammock also and sized so that it drapes right down on top of you with zero gaps?
    I thought about this...might end up doing it, but I like how the PP can be shifted around, as it is separate from the hammock (as you showed me)
    Also...how about having matching velcro for both TQ and UQ. What I mean is... the UQ/TQ can be velcroed to the hammock (per your suggestion) or it can be velcroed to each other. Is this just too much?

I have been thinking about this, also. My vision of it is a full UQ that comes up just over the edge of the hammock. The TQ would meet the edges of the UQ (with Velcro or zipper connection) and be wide enough to match the "sag" of the inside of the hammock, thus eliminating the air space. Does this make sense?
    This is what I envision as well

You could also make different temp TQs for different temp ranges.
    Great idea, I didn't think about that one...and more stuff to make

FYI, I will have a silk sheet that I carry with me (insulation, bag liner). This will add a little warmth, but also eliminates air gaps between me and the TQ/PP

• + New Posts