Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

rigging UQ for diagonal sleeping

I'm still hemming and hawing on making an underquilt. As a confirmed DIYer, I have learned that you better plan on making two to get a keeper. Because of the expense of down, I'm trying to avoid making two this time.

So, I'm fiddling with a poncho liner UQ to get some mileage in the back porch test lab. when doubled, it's the right width, but 16 inches shorter than the 78 inch full size. I am rigging (and I do mean "RIG") with paracord and knots.

I gathered the ends with safety pins and a thru cord. that's marginal too.

I am a diagonal hammock sleeper. The banana position just doesn't work for me.

I'm wondering if any one can point me in the right direction for rigging. I saw shug's deal on the mid point line over the ridge line, but haven't tried it yet.

How good are the "triangle thingies" Haven't tried those yet either.

I just thought I'd ask because there's a lot of experience around here. Any help appreciated.
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I assume you've seen this thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18539

I don't use a PLUQ. I have a down 3/4 and a full DIY KAQ. I personally prefer sewn channels along the sides instead of the corner tie outs. This keeps it snug up against the bottom and sides of the hammock.

On my DIY KAQ, I have sewn channels on all 4 sides to make it fit the hammock. This also helps with venting it (at the head end at least) in warmer weather without getting out of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Sure did see it. That's what gave me the idea to experiment.

Of course, being a cheap skate, I don't want to destroy my Poncho Liner as a Poncho ( it has a head hole added, like the no-sniveler) so I'm pinning and knotting.
    Last edited by Grinder; 12-09-2010 at 11:31.
    grinder

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    The triangle thingy's do work to a degree with diaganol lay in the hammock, at least on my 3/4 length KAQ. Once the holidays are over and the finances are a little better I am going to experiment with a IX/KAQ hybrid. THe IX will run with the hammock and have the KAQ diagonally sewn to it...............it still a works in progress.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I use a simple DIY gathered end hammock. I sleep diagonal and use a simple rectangular UQ. It has channels all around. The long edges go from hammock whip to hammock whip. The short edges are attached to the side suspension and cinched up. I've never had a problem with the UQ creeping or coming out from under me like some people do. Never found a need for tri-thingies either.

Jbo

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    I use a simple DIY gathered end hammock. I sleep diagonal and use a simple rectangular UQ. It has channels all around. The long edges go from hammock whip to hammock whip. The short edges are attached to the side suspension and cinched up. I've never had a problem with the UQ creeping or coming out from under me like some people do. Never found a need for tri-thingies either.

Jbo
    What are you calling "side suspension?"
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Just the lines on the long sides of the underquilt, Gringo.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    checking back in. I recently completed a down underquilt DIY, trying to clone a JRB.

Rigging it took some experimentation. First, I used bungy cords but left the draw channels in the head and foot too loose. Luckily, it was in the 50's so I was just chilly.

The next day I tried to rig triangle thingies, but didn't like how they worked with my 78 in. long UQ.

I ended up cinching the ends down to around 12 in. Before I got a good seal.

The final suspension version uses small diameter shock cord (1/16 est thickness)., two carabineers and cable locks.

One last thing I might try is a third line on each end, from the middle of the draw channels.Old time hammocker, HOI, has this set up and it looks real snug. He doesn't use shock cord, just some real small string. I did add a shock cord from the middle of the quilt running over the ridge line to snug things up even more.(thanks shug!!!) That's when I felt the heat kick in.

I'm so glad I tried to imitate JRB's design. The difference in inner and outer panel size allows snugging up tight without compressing the down. I'm sure theirs is even better.

the worry about sleeping diagonal was a no problem. the quilt follows the form of the hammock with you in it.
    grinder

• + New Posts