Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I understand the concerns of LNT and if we were talking about you average bushcrafter I would agree that LNT has almost no chance. Because we are hammockers here I assumed that this rig would be made leaving no more impact than your average hang and your average campfire no matter where you set up. This could easily be done in any hammock friendly campground as long as the fire pit is near where you can hang. All can be done with tarps, clear plastic and space blankets ropes and stakes. No reason to cut trees or anything like that.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    LNT all the way! I should have been more clear in my original post :-) I was hoping to find a way to incorporate the idea into hammock camping. I figure chopping a frame for a real bushcraft lean to shelter would detract from the comfort provided by hammocking

I was thinking of using a tarp-set up for the shelter and using smaller campfires in established fire pits or small pits built off trail in as responsible a way as possible.

As far as needing to keep the fire going...I figured the oven effect would help with this. I also found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpjnlkfCKOE

A smaller fire could be made that would last long into the night, and the hammock oven would keep the occupant warm a while after the fire died out.
    Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I camp in a hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No disrespect meant to the Hamper. Just expressing some growing concerns. I think your idea would be a fun thing to try.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    A few things to remember that makes a huge difference in the fire/sparks/heat output is the actual wood used to burn, and how you have it setup to burn.

Not enough people know which types of wood (tree) burn hot or fast or slow or likely to contain lots of air(water)-pockets that cause the wood to pop and send sparks flying.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Go find yourself a tarp with a reflective side on it, pitch it at an angle and drape some fire resistant plastic in front and close the ends.
    Hopefully all fire retardant.

I have seen one of those tarps in a shug youtube so it is someone here that owns it.
    I never have been able to find one.

Problem is you wont have a debris lean to shelter behind you to hold any heat, so once the fire dies down a bit it would cool off quick.

A top down fire might work well for this application.
    Last edited by tammons; 12-10-2010 at 15:22.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    In my neck of the wood we built a very very tight fitting and very low a-frame style debris hut that tapered from 2.5 feet high to ground level, built out of hemlock and really just big enough to squirm into (less to heat with the body)...took almost 2 hours to get enough debris/leaves/twigs up to a 3 foot depth completely surrounding it except for the entrance hole and a foot deep of boughs inside....this was almost 2 years ago that is was built, slept in and then abandon....now there is zero trace of the shelter....so LNT took care of itself in that time period.
    I was thinking how much I like this shelter despite the time to build but how to heat? Then I thought of non-river stoves heated up and placed inside, maybe 4-5 of them the length of the shelter spaced under the boughs your sleeping on...sounds good maybe but getting them inside and spaced would be a pain....thoughts?
    The other thing I like about this shelter is how protected I felt...only way in is through that one entrance, even a bear would have to claw a while to get through the body of the shelter and why would he if no food was in there.

Hot bed.

The mountain men use to bury coals or heated rocks about 6" deep or so to stay warm on cold nights.

Dont think I would try coals with synthetics though. Better use a wool blanket until you get the technique figured out.

Not sure how you would do that night after night with a small debris hut either.
    Probably better to use a lean to for that one and just keep a fire out front also.

There is a youtube where Dave Canterbury has a tiny fire in a hole (not a dakota) with a flat rock over it in one of his debris huts. He also talks about building a small fire inside to smoke out all the spiders and whatnot which makes sense.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    A few things to remember that makes a huge difference in the fire/sparks/heat output is the actual wood used to burn, and how you have it setup to burn.

Not enough people know which types of wood (tree) burn hot or fast or slow or likely to contain lots of air(water)-pockets that cause the wood to pop and send sparks flying.
    +1

If you throw an equivalently sized pine and oak log on a fire, its amazing how much longer the oak will burn for and how much more heat it will put out. Wood selection is huge for making a high heat output low maintenance fire.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    undecided
    Insulation
    JRB snivellers

How about this ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAYJsY394g

A little more weight.... but might be worth it.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Here's some photos of a Mors Super shelter Hammock style done with a
    simple DIY 6 sided tarp made from one sided reflective nylon material with added pull outs and 12' x 12' 2 mil poly plastic. Folding bow saw to cut wood.

Outside temp is 10*F, wind 10 mpg from the NW, in side temp is 60*F plus and cozy. Simple easy setup.
    You would burn less wood then if you where trying to warm yourself or dry clothing with an open fire in the cold. No smoke problems.Can dry clothing on ridge line.Cook on fire , melt snow for hydration needs. Depending on the type of fire lay possiple to have 2 hour + burn time with out tending fire.
    With finnish fire lay up to 6-8 hours.

Done properly you would leave no more trace then if burning a campfire.

The more you know the less you carry.

fourdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast