HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch

Bushcraft shelter for hammocking?

So I've been reading alot lately about bushcraft. I'm intrigued by the concept of primitive shelters and some of the physicis behind them. I came across the concept of the Mors Kochanski Supershelter (Not to be confused with the HH supershelter) over at BushcraftUSA.

Here is a link with a description http://humanventure.org/coach/Articl...6850BAD07.html.

So, my question is...could you use this with a hammock in lieu of proper winter gear? I imagine a set up with a clear painter's dropcloth over a ridgeline with one side facing a small/medium fire (appropriately spaced to prevent melting etc.) with a mylar space blanket or two attached on the inside of the opposite side to reflect the heat from the fire back into the hammock. Sides taut to the ground and some sort of doors on the sides that can be opened/closed to vent as I figure condensation could be a beast.

In Dual Survivor, Cody Lundin used this concept to keep the inside of his ground shelter at near 70 degrees in Nova Scotia with below freezing ambient temps. If this could work with the hammock setup, I might be able to camp in the winter until I can afford some good gear! I'm afraid to try though as I'd hate to set myself and hammock on fire Any of you engineer types out there have ideas how to make it work? Or is it just a terrible idea?
    Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I camp in a hammock!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a fun experiment to me. No better way to see if it works than to try it out for yourself.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamper View Post
    So I've been reading alot lately about bushcraft. I'm intrigued by the concept of primitive shelters and some of the physicis behind them. I came across the concept of the Mors Kochanski Supershelter (Not to be confused with the HH supershelter) over at BushcraftUSA.

Here is a link with a description http://humanventure.org/coach/Articl...6850BAD07.html.

So, my question is...could you use this with a hammock in lieu of proper winter gear? I imagine a set up with a clear painter's dropcloth over a ridgeline with one side facing a small/medium fire (appropriately spaced to prevent melting etc.) with a mylar space blanket or two attached on the inside of the opposite side to reflect the heat from the fire back into the hammock. Sides taut to the ground and some sort of doors on the sides that can be opened/closed to vent as I figure condensation could be a beast.

In Dual Survivor, Cody Lundin used this concept to keep the inside of his ground shelter at near 70 degrees in Nova Scotia with below freezing ambient temps. If this could work with the hammock setup, I might be able to camp in the winter until I can afford some good gear! I'm afraid to try though as I'd hate to set myself and hammock on fire Any of you engineer types out there have ideas how to make it work? Or is it just a terrible idea?
    It works and works realy well. Mors developed the orginal super shelter.
    I will be setting one up with hammock at the up coming MN Frozen Butt in
    Jan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    From your profile I see you already have a hammock & tarp. All you really need other than that to winter camp is insulation. For next to nothing you can buy a few CCF pads and between that and a sleeping bag used as a top quilt you should do fine into the low 20's or so. YMMV...

Good idea for an emergency shelter though.

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    @fourdog - Have you tried this already? What other insulation would you say is necessary for different temperature ranges? I have a 30 degree bag and both CCF pads and an Exped Synmat 7 and have been comfortable in them down to roughly 30.

@GvilleDave - I do have some insulation, but I'm not sure how comfy I am with testing in the teens :-D Besides, sleeping by a fire seems really cool and primitive and a way to not have to invest in a super cool underquilt (though that doesn't make me want them any less!)
    Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I camp in a hammock!

Hamper,
    You might want to consider covering the outside of the hammock with something that will protect the nylon, as if a hot ember flies up hits the hammock instant hole, and possible failure of hammock!
    Not saying that it will happen, but possible, just something to think about when placing the hammock (height off ground) and placement of fire as well as how big of a fire!
    Would love to see pic's when you do it though, as well as a report!!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I think how close the fire is to your plastic and nylon shelter elements would be the main concern...sparks + petrochemicals= not good...
    KM (who is a pyro, but keeps safety uber alles!)

Edit- I see CB beat me to the punch- i types slow sometimes..

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm thinking we need to find a source for large sheets of the heat resistant nylon used by Reynolds for their oven cooking bags.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I think it would work great.......as long as you can find some other poor sap to feed the fire all night!

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I think it would work great.......as long as you can find some other poor sap to feed the fire all night!
    Years ago when we were young and could/would sleep through the night till morn . . .

The trick to getting up early enough to keep the fire going,
    was to drink extra water just before going to bed.

Kinda flies in the face of a few of our other threads

But up north when it use to dip into the -60's
    fire was an essential night time survival tool
    . . . nah, get out . . .

Mind you there wasn't the nylon thang to consider.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast