Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

WBBB vs Traveler...my first impressions

First, I'm new to this so take all of my comments with a grain of salt.

I have had my WBBB for about 5-6 weeks now and have hung in it about half a dozen times. I got my Traveler two days ago and hung in it last night. Both the hammocks were used with a BA Lost Ranger bag as a TQ and a Stormcrow 3 Season Incubator as a UQ. The weather has mostly been in the low 40's but I have seen 27*F one night. Both hammocks are 1.7 Dbls.

I found it took a couple of nights to get used to sleeping in the hammock. It was never uncomfortable, but it was hard for me to shut my mind down from asking: "Am I comfortable now?...How about now?...and what about now?" On about the fourth or fifth night I was able to sleep normally and very comfortably.

So...the differences I noted. I spent the first nights in my BB and really liked how it all worked but I wanted something simpler for just hanging around the house or when a bug net wasn't needed.

When I got my Traveler I thought I would really like the simplicity and I do...but I also noticed that I had no place to put all the crap I wanted to have in the hammock with me. Hat, water bottle, pillow, buff and all of that stuff you don't know you need until you don't have it. I started hanging everything off my ridge line but by the time I hung my water bottle on it, the bottom of the bottle was interfering with me in the hammock. OK, put the stuff on the ground next to you and reach out when you need it. I also noticed that my 3S Incubator was a little more fiddly in the middle of the night than on my BB. It wasn't bad, just took a few more adjustments that were not required on the BB.

The Traveler is more comfortable than the BB for me for some unknown reason. It feels really roomy and spacious and I get a very flat lay with no calf pressure. Ridge line tension was set to approx the same on both hammocks.

The BB will be my go-to camping hammock. The bug net and the shelf are way more useful than I originally thought. I'll continue to use the Traveler around the house for napping (Naps = Good!) and as a spare or loaner for my friends.

For what it's worth, I'm really happy with both hammocks and see a use for each of them. Either one will keep me happily off the ground!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

-jeff

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I struggle over what hammock to take with me on any given trip. Kind of like my girlfriend trying on 50 different shoe/dress combinations.
    Choices are good and I'm glad you've got a pair of hammocks to choose from; variety being the spice and all that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I use a Traveler for pretty much every trip now. One thing I like to do is clip my backpack to the ridgeline of the Traveler, and just let it hang at about knee level on the opposite side of the hammock from where I place my feet. Anything left in the pack is in one easy to reach spot, under the tarp and off the ground. If I need to reach anything I just pull the pack closer and reach in.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I use a Traveler for pretty much every trip now. One thing I like to do is clip my backpack to the ridgeline of the Traveler, and just let it hang at about knee level on the opposite side of the hammock from where I place my feet. Anything left in the pack is in one easy to reach spot, under the tarp and off the ground. If I need to reach anything I just pull the pack closer and reach in.
    That's a good idea. Are you using the WB bug net with your Traveler?

-jeff

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip View Post
    That's a good idea. Are you using the WB bug net with your Traveler?
    I do in the summer months, when needed. The pack fits inside the net along with the hammock, as long as you have a smallish pack.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    One thing I like to do is clip my backpack to the ridgeline of the Traveler, and just let it hang at about knee level on the opposite side of the hammock from where I place my feet. Anything left in the pack is in one easy to reach spot, under the tarp and off the ground. If I need to reach anything I just pull the pack closer and reach in.
    That's what I do too. Works great.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip View Post
    When I got my Traveler I thought I would really like the simplicity and I do...but I also noticed that I had no place to put all the crap I wanted to have in the hammock with me. Hat, water bottle, pillow, buff and all of that stuff you don't know you need until you don't have it.
    What a great excuse to go here...

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id62.html

for;

A Ridgeline Pocket Organizer for those things ya just need right now. A Peak Storage Bag to replace that pillow with clothes in a bag that will attach to your ridgeline with a Prusik knot and keep your pillow in place when you move.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    What a great excuse to go here...

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id62.html

for;

A Ridgeline Pocket Organizer for those things ya just need right now. A Peak Storage Bag to replace that pillow with clothes in a bag that will attach to your ridgeline with a Prusik knot and keep your pillow in place when you move.
    I have both of those(the organizer and the peak bag) like them both and they add little weight.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i'm realizing the traveler is my go-to hammock these days. i love the open feel and ability to tweek the uq.

the hanging pack is an awesome idea. i too was struggling with the lack of shelf.
    i have the jj gear hammock, and have prussik'ed 2 corners to the under-the-tarp ridgeline, creating a pocket. maybe i'll just let it hang- or leave it at home and save the 3.5 oz.

here's to the wb traveler
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The BB shelf is a nice feature. I am amazed at the amount of junk I cram into it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast