WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Tarp selection .....Few questions regarding tie out's and door's etc.

Hi All

So I have an OES Standard Tarp in SpinnUL and love it.
    I'm just after a bit more coverage for our winters down under and am thinking about a Deluxe now in SpinnUL too
    Or a Big Mamajamba....

First question:

I have just seen Shug's little blackcrow tarp in another thread which has two extra tie out's on each side at the lower edge. There is a picture of the tarp end's closed in sorta like door's. I really like the idea of that.
    How far in should the extra tie outs be to allow the tarp to close up a bit on a WBBB 1.0 double do you think ??
    I could probably just ask Brian at OES to add some extra tie out's the same on a SpinnUL Deluxe. I know this will not be the same as the door's on the Big mamajamba but should still offer some additional weather protection if required.
    Thinking out loud here: it might give the ends the ability to wrap around a bit while not having to take extra doors but still get decent storm protection ??

Second Question:

Panel tie-out's.

What's the deal with them, Do they just offer a bit extra room under the tarp or do the do something else like stop snow pushing the tarp down etc. FYI, I don't intend to camp in snow any time soon, well not here anyway.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    The extra tie-outs along the bottom need to be located according to how steeply you pitch the tarp and how much "door" you want. With a steep pitch, the doors can be smaller because there is less "end" to cover - therefore the tie-outs can be pretty close to the end tie-outs on the tarp. A rule of thumb would be that the added tie-outs should be located roughly 1/2 the width of the bottom of the end of your tarp. In other words, if your tarp is pitched like an A (seen from the end), take the total width at the very bottom of the A (along the ground when the tarp is pitched) and divide by 2. Put the extra tie-outs this distance away from the end of the tarp. Adjust this distance to factor in the tarp cut and whether you want to completely close off the end.

Side panel tie-outs do give you more room but they also keep the tarp from blowing and collapsing in during heavy wind gusts or when snow loaded. Folks have actually been swung in their hammocks by the tarp pushing against them.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Either the OES Deluxe or WB BMJ in Spinn provide enough coverage for sure. The WB comes standard with Brandon's door attachments. The OES tarp does not, but you could just use the D-rings to attach the doors (I've attached Brandon's doors to Brian's Deluxe tarp).

I've got both of the tarps you are looking at, both with panel pull outs. If you laid the tarps down on top of each other, you'd see that the panel pull outs are placed almost exactly in the same spots on both tarps. The panel pulls will provide quite a bit of room under the tarp, and will keep the tarp from pushing in when set up in windy conditions. Now that I've seen them in action, I wouldn't consider buying a "larger" sized tarp without getting panel pulls on them.

You can't go wrong with either of these tarps.

OES Deluxe Spinn on left and WB BMJ Spinn on right...

Here's a shot of the OES Deluxe Spinn with the panel pulls in use...

And here is a shot of the WB BMJ with doors on and panel pulls in use...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    I just recieved my WB Superfly that has doors + panel pulls built into the tarp. This will primarily be my winter tarp and should provide more than enough coverage for windy and snowy days. I haven't tested it out quite yet, but from what I've read from other people they love their superfly tarp. I would recommend giving it a look if you're in the market for a winter tarp.
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would stay with the OES standard and contact 2QZQ about a grizz beak.

Sorry that I didnt post a pic I a sure that someone can find 1.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    I would stay with the OES standard and contact 2QZQ about a grizz beak.

Sorry that I didnt post a pic I a sure that someone can find 1.
    I also have a oes standard and I would love to see pics of it with the grizz beak on so I can see how it fits on that small of tarp. It seems to fit well on the larger tarp but not sure about the standard. Anybody have pics of there standard with beaks on?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I made mine I used small strong clips... from the hardware store ....tied my guy lines to those and found the best spots for closing in the doors and still have room for the hammock.
    Glad I did.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I don't have any pictures of the Grizz beak on a Standard, but know that it should fit, but will be 10" longer, as it is made to fit the Deluxe/Ultra. If your interested in maximum protection for less weight on a Standard, I'd recommend just having doors put on. Less material involved than a Grizz beak. They are permanently attached however. Personally not a problem for me as one never knows when they'll be needed.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the responses !!

I had a play with measurments etc on my standard over the weekend with folding the end's in like Shug's tarp.

There seemed to be a lot of loose material directly above the fold up to the top ridge of the tarp. I don't actually have the tie out's on but was just playing with where to put them etc. I think the loose material was from the sharp cat cut down from the ends of the tarp and the fact that there is no stretch in the material. Maybe a Deluxe wouldn't have as big an issue as the sides are longer and the end of the tarp angles would be a bit less sharp.

I'm guessing you guy's that have the folded ends have sil tarps that might let the ends fold in and be nice and stretchy but still a taunt pitch???
    Maybe two pull out's might take out that slack in the tarp above the folds.

I am just after a little bit of end protection "if" I need it from the wind or maybe slanting rain. Would be nice to not have to carry doors etc and if the weather looks bad just fold one end in.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    brandons doors are only done in sil... probably because the spinn gave that loose material you describe. i'd imagine the sil will work better for the application you describe.

from a wb bmj spinn owner, i love the additional doors. option is nice. i've just left em on since the cold spell. very roomy. but again, depends on your intended use.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast